Why'd You Stop?

We went to the bar that I had gone to with Julia. I bit my lip as I got out of Sidney's car, remembering our dance. He saw my expression and tried to turn away before I saw him smirking, but he was too late. "Do y'all come here often?" I asked.

"Yeah, we do," he nodded, still not looking at me.

"I'm surprised you don't get swarmed by paparazzi and fans," I said, trying to make conversation through the awkward tension in the air between us.

"Nah, they mostly leave us alone because we ask nicely. They'll show up at big events, but they try not harass us in the streets. Well, the paparazzi are like that at least. The fans can get a little crazy, sometimes," he chuckled. "They once tried to tackle Geno. It didn't work, of course, but it was a little funny and a little scary."

"That sounds scary," I said and Sidney nodded. He opened the door for me and we walked inside. It was loud and hot and we were only three feet inside the door. I followed him through the crowd to the bar where we were meeting the guys. I sat on the end, not wanting to be crushed between two huge hockey players. They were pretty calm right now, but no one had started drinking yet, and I knew how crazy they got when they had a little bit of liquor in them.

"What will you be having tonight, Miss.?" The bartender asked with a smile. It was the same guy from before.

"She'll have a Shirley Temple," Sidney said before I could reply.

"Alright, and for you, sir?"

"Two shots, your best vodka," I said.

The bartender was confused, not sure why we were ordering for each other, but he shrugged and started pouring our drinks.

"Two shots? What if I don't like vodka?" Sidney asked.

"Do you like vodka, Sidney?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Yes."

"Well, then, what is there to worry about?"

"How did you know?"

"I had a feeling," I replied.

"Alright, I have a Shirley Temple and two shots. Is there anything else I can get you?" The bartender set down three glasses, a plate with limes, and a salt shaker.

"Not right now, thank you," I smiled at him.

"Okay, let me know," he returned the smile, and moved down the bar. I turned so that I was facing Sidney and poured a little salt on my wrist. I set the shaker down next to him, ready to go. Instead of pouring salt on his own wrist, Sidney grabbed mine and licked the salt off, maintaining eye contact with me the entire time. 'That is hot,' I thought to myself. Sidney grabbed a shot and threw it back, grabbing a lime to suck on when he was done.

"Your turn," I gestured to the salt shaker.

"I'm pretty sure both shots were for me," he said, taking my wrist again and pouring salt on it.

"Mhm," I said, watching him as he trailed his tongue across my skin for the second time. He took his second shot and I took a sip from my Shirley Temple.

"Are you going to dance?" Sidney asked.

"Not right now," I said, "But go ahead."

"Nope. I'm going to stay right here," he smiled at me.

"Okay," I said, sipping my drink.

"Are you mad because I took your shot?" He pouted, mocking me.

"They were your shots," I laughed.

"Did you want one?" He asked.

"N-"