The Talk

Erin's Point of View

I blinked and the image was gone. I hadn't realized my feelings for him were so strong already. We seriously needed to talk. I couldn't let this go on anymore. We had more important things to focus on, like winning the Stanley Cup.

"Yes, we do," he replied to my earlier comment and ushered me over to the couch. I sat down and he perched on the glass coffee table in front of me, "Would you like something to drink or eat?"

Was he stalling? He couldn't just tell me to come over so that we could talk and then keep delaying like this, especially not after the little daydream I had just had. "Sidney, I can't do this," I looked up into his brown eyes, which were not far from my own. They were soft and caring, and now, confused.

"What do you mean, Erin?" He asked.

"We can't be something, anything, Sidney. You had me come here and after what happened Friday, especially after what happened... I, I just can't do this. I'm your coach, you're my player; it can't work. It would never be able to work. The League..." I trailed off. I hated thinking about things like consequences when I wanted him so badly. Part of my mind was screaming about the amount of trouble we'd be in, but no matter how much the logical part of my brain screamed, the illogical part screamed right back. I found myself aching to touch him again, and it was killing me. I had to get away, I couldn't be near him by myself for too long without feeling like this. And I would get away, just as soon as we discussed whatever he thought we had to.

"I know," he said.

"Then why am I here?" I asked.

"We needed to talk. I wanted to tell you that I'm sorry about what happened Friday night. It was inappropriate and unprofessional. I wasn't myself, I'm sorry, Erin," he wouldn't look at me. "I wanted to apologize. I want us to be friends, or whatever we can be in addition to the player-coach dynamic. I'm sorry I put you in such a compromising position, I didn't intend to cause any trouble."

Okay, that might be a lie. Hockey players loved to stir up trouble, but I kept listening, knowing whatever came next would be better for us in the long run than my fantasy.

"Please let me make it up to you. You haven't been here long, let me take you sight-seeing. Please, Erin? Come on, it will be fun," he smiled at me and whatever qualms I had about not spending time with him vanished. What was the harm in getting to know the captain of my team?

"Alright," I said, a smile creeping across my own face.

Sidney pulled on a shirt and led me out of the house. I was rather surprised when he let me drive. As I drove, I asked questions about the team, "Which pair of you, or line, has the best chemistry together?"

"Such a coach-ish question," he laughed, "Geno and I do a pretty good job together."

"Right, the Two-Headed Monster," I replied.

"Oh, you heard about that, did you?" he chuckled.

"What gave it away?"

I saw him roll his eyes, "Okay, Ms. Know-It-All, did you know that Bennett and Bortz are really close?"

"That doesn't surprise me. They seem to be together a lot," I replied.

"All the time! And they do weird shit like dress up as Playboy bunnies for Halloween."

I laughed my ass off at this and I was really glad that we were already stopped at a light, or something bad might have happened. "Okay, who else does weird stuff that I should be aware of?"

"Fleury is flirty all the time; we feel really bad for his wife," Sidney sounded completely serious, but I wasn't sure if I believed him.

"He didn't come off as flirty when I met him. He was flirty when he was drunk, though," I pondered that for a minute.

"We all get a bit frisky when we're drunk," Sidney replied. I could tell by the tone of his voice that he was proud of that.

"A little frisky?" I raised my eyebrows at him.

"You were just as frisky as I was," he smirked.

"Okay, enough about my drunk tendencies, explain more about Flower; I'm curious now," I redirected the conversation.

"I swear, he could flirt with a brick wall," Sidney laughed.

"What do you mean?"

"He'll talk to anyone about anything."

"That's just being friendly!" I defended the goaltender.

"Just you wait and see," Sidney said darkly.

We had reached the center of the city, from there, Sidney pointed me to a place to park. We got out and he began to play tour guide. He pointed out the university buildings and museums as we walked. He knew the city so well, it was almost as if he had lived there his entire life. We stopped at sandwich shop for lunch and continued to Point State Park, where we sat in companionable silence for a while, watching people pass by. It was then that I voiced a question that had been bothering me, "Why hasn't anyone come up to ask you for a picture or an autograph?"

"They probably think this is a date or whatever," he explained. I blushed a little at this and he smiled when he saw it, "Why are you blushing? I thought we were past this."

"We are, it just surprised me, that's all."

He nodded, "Plus, most of the people here who care about the team-"

"Which should be everyone," I interrupted.

"You'd be surprised. There are a lot more people who aren't fans than you might expect. Anyway, as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted," he elbowed me in the ribs, "Most people who care have already met me."

"Oh, okay. I see how it is," I replied sarcastically.

"Do you? Do you really?" He teased.

I rolled my eyes and looked around; it was getting darker as the afternoon turned into evening. Sidney noticed too and he stood up, extending his hand to me. I took it cautiously, ignoring my fluttering heartbeat and my mind's ideas about what his offered hand could mean. He pulled me to my feet and then put his arm around my shoulders.

"Why are you doing that?" I asked.

"Oh, sorry, does it bother you?" He went to move his arm.

"No!" I said too quickly, "I... uh... I was only wondering why you were doing it after everything."

"I don't know, it just feels right," he replied.

"Okay," I said and we walked back to my car.

I drove him back to his house and he got out. I rolled down the window and he leaned inside to say goodnight.

"I had fun today," I smiled, "Thanks for taking me."

"It was my pleasure. I'm glad you agreed to do this; we should do stuff like this more often."

I nodded, "Sure. Good night, Sidney."

"Good night, Erin," he replied. I waited until he got in the door before pulling away and I saw him waving from the doorway as I left.

It had been a good day. I had been able to ignore most of my feelings and hang out with him, just as friends. I knew it wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I also knew that I couldn't have exactly what I wanted. This would have to do.

Author's Note

Hey, hey, hockey fans! I would love to hear your feedback on this chapter. Please vote and comment. A new update will be out shortly. Thanks for your support! Let's Go Pens!