Silence

Walking into the ice cream parlor, I glanced nervously around. My body felt rigid and every part of me was begging to leave. Yet, for some reason I didn’t turn around and walk out. It was almost as if I had just drunk some liquid courage. “Waffle cone and two scoops of chocolate,” I told the man that was behind the counter. Giving a small grunt, that I knew he didn’t mean for me hear, he started to make my order.

“Are we running in that 5k?” Heaven asked as she pointed to a small informational sign that was by the cash register. Her eyes glanced over at Carollena with curiosity.

Carollena gave a shrug of her shoulders. “We can, you know me, I’m always up for a good run. You wanna come with us Anna?”

I looked at the sign and saw it was a color vibe run. I had gone to one a few years back and it was actually really fun. You run and as you reach certain ‘stations’ they throw this colorful chalk at you. By the end of the run you are coated in different colors. I smiled, “yeah, sounds like fun.”

“What sounds like fun?” someone asked from behind me.

Looking over my shoulder I came face to face with my ex-boyfriend, Liam. I started to study him. He hadn’t changed. His blonde hair was still short, but the ends curling. His brown eyes still reminded me of dark chocolate as they peered at me through his thin silver framed glasses. “Ummm,” I barely choked out.

Carollena sidestepped me and gave Liam a hard glare. “What sounds like fun to us is none of your business. Now, shoo fly because you really don’t want to bother me.”

Liam looked at me with his coco brown eyes as if he wanted to say something. Yet, he and I knew Carollena wouldn’t allow him to get one word in. Nodding, he spun around and walked away.

“What did he do to get on your bad graces?” Heaven asked.

“He broke up with Annabelle,” Carollena exclaimed as she paid for all of our cones.

Heaven looked at me with slight sadness before turning her attention back to her girlfriend. “Thank you,” Heaven said as she grabbed her ice cream from Carollena. “So, what are you guys planning to do this weekend?”

“Well, it’s only Monday, don’t really have plans for this weekend yet,” I stated before taking a small lick of my chocolate ice cream.

“I don’t really have plans either,” Carollena said as we all took a seat at a table located in the middle of the ice cream shop.

Once I sat down I looked round. I vaguely remember coming here before. I think Carollena and I came here once a year or so ago. I don’t remember if it was a spur of the moment kind of thing or what. But something about the white wood walls and old oak floors made me feel as if this wasn’t my first time having ice cream in here.

“I love the lights,” Heaven informed us as she pointed up.

Lifting my head I glanced up above us to see that the light was a wine bottle with a light bulb in the middle. The bottle above our table was blue. Looking around I saw the different colors and shapes of the wine bottles as lights. “It is creative,” I spoke.

“Let’s take a road trip,” Carollena blurted out.

“Huh?” I questioned at her random outburst.

Looking at me she sighed. “A road trip, you know it is where you get in a car and-”

“I know what a road trip is,” I interrupted. With a roll of my eyes I continued. “And where do you suppose we go?”

“I have no idea, but it has been forever since we have gone on a trip.”

“I’m up for it ... hey my uncle owns a cabin in Rockaway Forest, about two hours from here. We can go spend the weekend there,” Heaven suggested.

“What are we talking about?” Someone asked as they took a seat next to me.

Turning my head I saw Leaven sit down and smile at me before placing his arm around the back of my chair. I then began to verily regret coming here along with Heaven and Carollena. Clutching my ice cream cone harder I thought that I should have known the brother was Leaven.

Suddenly a cold sensation fell over my hands. Looking down I saw that I broke my cone and now the ice cream was fall all over me and my hands. Getting up quickly and ignoring the annoying sound the metal chair as it scraped the floor, I gasped. “Shit,” I muttered before walking away. Tossing my ice cream in the garbage I looked down at myself to see that I’d got my pants and part of my shirt dirty.

“Want me to buy you a new cone?” Leaven asked as he walked up to me.

I snapped my head in his direction and gritted my teeth. “No! I don’t want a cone from you! Leave me alone,” I bitterly hissed at him before stalking off to the bathroom.

Upon entering I walked over to the paper towel dispenser and got a bunch of paper towels. After getting them wet and putting a dab of soap on the paper towels, I started to try and get the stains out. When I saw that my efforts were in vain, I threw the paper towels at the mirror and rested my back on a nearby wall. Sinking down to the floor I brought my knees to my chest.

The door creaked open and I saw Carollena’s face pop out. Her eyes flickered to the mirror and then to me. “What did the mirror ever do to you?” She asked as she walked into the bathroom.

I didn’t answer her. Instead I looked away hoping she wouldn’t see the tears threatening to escape the crevice of my eyes.

“What is going on Anna?” Carollena asked me as she touched my knee in a calming notion.

I shrugged her off and continued to not reply. Hearing the door open once more I saw that Heaven was entering the bathroom with a curious gaze. “Is everything okay?” She meekly asked as if Heaven knew she was intruding.

“I have idea what is wrong with her, she will not talk to me,” Carollena mumbled loud enough for Heaven to hear.

Placing her hand on Carollena’s back she sighed. “She does that … or well, she use to when she was upset.” Looking at me with her soft blue eyes, Heaven released a low exhale. “Anna, what is wrong?”

I shrugged my shoulder once more, “nothing.”

“Nothing? Really? So, when Mr. Farrell died and you acted this way, it was nothing?” Heaven asked as she brought up the time my favorite hamster died.

I tried not plunder on how she was right. I always seem to act this way when I am upset. I get quiet and liked to find a place to let my tears out. But, it seems I’ve been crying where ever Leaven shows up. Oh, how I wish he would just leave my life… Maybe I should let Seven kill him … No! No! I couldn’t let Seven do such a thing…

“It is nothing that anyone of you can solve. So, please just drop it,” I said in a low tone.

“Annabelle,” Carollena urged, “please tell me. You don’t know that we can’t help you solve your problem … Does it have to do with that something you told me last night?”

I shook my head quickly hoping that she wouldn’t say what I did with Seven in front of Heaven. I couldn’t have Heaven thinking that I’ve turned into some slut. I mentally sighed for in some ways I felt like I had. “No. Come on you guys, I’m fine.” With that said I got off the ground and dusted off my pants as if they’d gotten dirty from the floor.

“Anna-“ I heard Heaven speak out to me, but I ignored her as I walked out without looking back.

“Do you need a ride home?” Leaven asked as he pushed himself off the wall he’d been leaning on by the bathroom door.

“No, Carollena and Heaven will take me home.”

Grabbing my arm, Leaven spoke in my ear. “I’m taking you home.” His voice said it all, his words were final.