Just The Way You Are

I walked into my homeroom and looked around, eyes alighting on Heaven in the back of the class. She stared at me and beckoned for me to walk over to her. I sighed and faced the fact that I needed to talk to her. Once I sat down in the seat next to her she faced me and appeared to be thinking deeply.

“It’s not that I don’t trust you, Annabelle, because I do ... It’s just that the secret I have – well, I’m afraid of what you’ll think of me once you know,” Heaven confessed. She bit her bottom lip and stared at me, waiting for my reply.

“Just tell me,” I said finally. “I’m not going to judge, I promise you that.”

After a pause, Heaven lifted her head and looked me in the eyes. “Meet me after school in the gym; I’ll be in the stands.” I considered her words and nodded.

“Okay, but you had better tell me,” I told her.

“Of course.” With that, the bell rang and we hugged goodbye. Then, realizing the time, I rushed to my first period class, which was unfortunately on the other side of the school.

When lunchtime rolled around, I had a feeling I would hear from Diana, and that it wouldn’t be pretty. Sure enough, right when I walked in the cafeteria, she grabbed my arm and dragged me to an empty table.

“What the hell happened this morning?” Diana asked.

“What do you mean?” I replied.

“Well, I spent – ”

“Where’s Heaven?” I interrupted, searching the cafeteria for her.

“I don’t know, but she was in my last class,” Diana stated. As my eyes flitted over the school’s student body, looking for Heaven but instead  I caught a glimpse of Seven. He was sitting in a chair with two girls sitting on his lap. Yes – Two! One girl was on each leg and both of them were talking, laughing and kissing him. I pursed my lips, beginning to get angry with him. Seven was such a –

“Annabelle, you need to tell me why the hell I spent three hours on your look for you to come to school looking like – like this! Seriously, it’s like you’ve never used a brush. Plus, your outfit is, like, five sizes too big.

“Basically, you look like a slob,” She summarized, pointing to my oversized outfit and my messy hair. I stood up, fury boiling inside me.

“Well, I’m sorry if I’m too ugly for you!” The cafeteria went silent as everybody, and I meant everybody, eavesdropped on our little chat. “You’re supposed my friend and I will be damned if I have a friend that judges me based on how I look!” I spat with contempt.

“But, come on, you have to agree that you don’t look –”