Coping

I’ve always thought that Honey Green Tea smelled like hot beer. Not sure why, but the aroma always reminded me of the foul stench of beer. If it wasn’t for the way the tea could calm me down in a matter of seconds, then I would probably automatically dismiss the idea of drinking it.

Lifting the warm white mug, I pressed the brim up to my lips. Taking a small sip, I started to feel calmer already. Placing the cup on the coffee table, I considered watching a movie. Glancing around the living room, I wondered where Carollena had put my movies. There was perks to her being a clean freak, but moving my stuff around and confusing me about their whereabouts was not one of them.

I contemplated on if I had the energy to get up and find the movies. Five minutes later, I shook that idea out of my head and just decided to lay down on the couch. Sprawling out, I made sure my body was encased in the red fluffy blanket that I loved so much. With my eyes feeling heavier and heavier, I closed them.

Everything suddenly faded around me, that was until I heard Carollena come into the house with a loud, “I’m home!”

Cracking my sleepy eyes, I glanced over at the door way to find her with brown grocery bag and a wide smile. Yet, the second she laid eyes on me, her smile twitched down into a deep frown. Walking hesitantly into the living room, she set the bag on the coffee table and looked at me with a hint of sadness. “You know if you frown too much, you’ll get wrinkles.”

None of her features changed as she continues to stare down at me. “What happened?” She finally breathed.

I cuddled more into the couch and gripped the blanket tighter as if it would save me from Carollena’s quizzical mind. Soon, I knew it was in vain, Carollena would not give up until I told her what plagued my mind. Even though I wanted to do nothing more than to tell her the spider web I’ve entangled myself in, I bit my tongue on that matter. “I-I just am tired,” I lied.

Carollena, who saw right through me, shook her head in disapproval. “Annabelle, you might not be Pinocchio, but I can most certainly tell when you are lying.”

Sighing, I knew that she would not leave my presence until I told her the truth. But, the truth was poisonous, it was something that she had no right knowing, and if she did know ... gosh knows what Leaven would do if he found out that I admitted to her that he was being slightly abusive. Carollena also would more than likely try to protect me from Leaven, if she knew. But, she couldn’t protect me, no one could. “I slept with my boyfriend’s brother,” I told her knowing that if Leaven already knew that then there was no problem telling her. And in all honesty, having sex with Seven was in my top three problems going on right now in my life.

Slowly, Carollena bent down and grabbed my feet. Lifting them in the air she took a seat at the end of the couch. Placing my legs in her lap she gave a long sigh, which meant she was displeased and thinking. “Anna, I’m not very happy with you,” she spoke in a motherly, stern voice.

I wanted to coward under my blanket, but I knew I need to face the music. “I can tell.”