What's Going On?

Annabelle’s P.O.V

I shut the door to my house and stepped outside, knowing that I would have to walk to school. Obviously, Heaven wouldn’t pick me up. Just as I began my trek down the street, Seven’s car pulled up beside me.

His passenger window was rolled down so that I could hear him as he offered, “need a ride?” I didn’t think twice before climbing in with a smile. I settled myself down and strapped myself in, and soon enough we were cruising towards our school in silence. I wanted to make conversation, but I noticed that Seven was deep in thought.

I also noticed that Seven had a black eye.

“Seven! What the hell happened to your eye?” I asked, worried.

He was silent for a moment, then cleared his throat. “Leaven’s back.”

“I know,” I replied. “Was it him that give you the black eye?”

“Yeah. He looks worse, though.” Seven answered dully as he kept his attention on the road.

“Why did you two get in a fight?” I asked. Seven said nothing. “Are you going to tell me?” I asked. After another brief silence, he shook his head. “Fine then, be that way. I’ll ask Leaven,” I told Seven snidely.

He chose not to answer leaving us in more silence.

I turned on the radio, hoping to drown out the deafening silence, but as soon as I turned it on, Seven turned it off.

“I want to talk to you,” he said quietly.

I waited for him to say something, but he didn’t. “For someone who wants to talk, you’re pretty quiet.”

“Anna … I want you to stay away from Leaven. I have a feeling he’s up to no good. Please, don’t trust him.”

“Seven, I’m a big girl! I can take care of myself,” I muttered with a frown.

“You’re so naïve, Anna. Just don’t let him charm you with his cheap tricks. Something tells me he won’t stay for long.”

“I think you’re right,” I replied in a low voice, ignoring his remark about my naivety.

“Sit with me at lunch,” he said randomly.

I blinked at him, as his demand caught off guard. “What?”

“Sit with me at lunch,” he repeated.

“Why do you want me to sit with you at lunch?” I asked as we pulled up to the school.

Seven parked in silence. He had his hand on the door, and looked like he was about to get out when he suddenly turned to face me.

Emotions flicked through his eyes too quickly to read, before he placed his hands on my cheeks and kissed me, enveloping me in his fresh pine scent. After a second, he pulled away – but I wasn't quite finished. I leaned in and kissed him in return, tasting his lips on mine. He finally let go of my cheeks and looked at me evenly.

“Because it’ll be a change. And I’m more than ready for a change.” Then he got out of the car, leaving me there touching my lips and wondering what was up with him.

~~~

When I arrived at my locker, I saw Heaven standing in front of it. She was glancing over the crowds of people, looking for somebody. As I got closer, she locked eyes with me. Had she been searching for me?

“Hey. Listen, I’m sorry for not being able to meet up with you yesterday,” Heaven mumbled, eyes on the floor.

“I’m your best friend. Whatever secret you have, you can tell me,” I repeated for what felt like the millionth time.

She raised her eyes to mine. “I wish it was that simple. I just can’t believe Seven told you that I have a secret,” Heaven sighed.

My heart sank. “You were planning to never tell me? Is that what our friendship is built on – lies?” I was getting angry with her now.

“Annabelle, that’s not it! I – I –”

“Spit it out, already!”

“Yeah, Heaven. Spit out your dirty little secret.” I whipped around to see Leaven, standing in the hall with a smirk plastered on his face.

Heaven glared at him. “Go to hell!” Heaven turned and began to walk away, but our principal came out of nowhere and stopped her.

“Ms. Fletcher, profanity is not allowed at this school.”

Heaven faced him, crossing her arms. “I can do whatever the fuc –”

“If you finish that statement, I can guarantee that you will not walk back in this school for a week,” he threatened.

“You know what? I don’t give a damn!” With that, Heaven stormed out of the building.

I sighed, troubled. She had never acted this way before. Was I supposed to go after her?

“Wow, that’s one pissed off girl,” Leaven whistled from beside me.

“Go away. Better yet, go back to your aunt’s.” I said coldly.

“Anna, please. Let’s start over,” Leaven proposed.

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t roll your eyes at me; I’m serious. I want to be there for you, and not just as a friend.”

“Leaven, we aren’t even friends, let alone more! We can and never will be what you want us to be.”

“Anna –”

“Stop calling me Anna; you have no right!”

Leaven gazed at me with the same kind, soulful eyes that had won me over in the past. “Anna,” he said slowly, “I love you.”

I stumbled backwards, shaking my head from side to side. “How do expect me to react to that, after what you did? You can’t waltz back in here and expect me to fall at your feet. Sorry Leaven, but I’m over you. You love me? Well, that’s too bad. I don’t feel the same,” I finished.

All of this drama was emotionally exhausting, and I was on the verge of tears. Whether they were tears of sadness or of anger I wasn’t sure. After a moment of standing awkwardly in the hall, I felt the first tear trail down my face. I twisted and strode away – or at least I would have, if Leaven hadn’t grabbed my arm and pulled me close to him. With my back against his chest, he tilted his head and whispered in my ear. “Go out with me.”

I shook my head adamantly. Had he not listened to a word I had told him?

“I’ll tell you Heaven’s secret,” he murmured enticingly.

I thought for a moment, considering his offer. Then I made up my mind, and gave him an answer.

****

Sorry for not updating in a few days. Had some MAJOR family problems. Still working them out. Hopefully I will be able to update again tomorrow.