Work

“You know that this doesn’t change what I plan to do to Leaven,” Seven stated as I cuddled up to his side.

I placed my head on his bare chest. “Please don’t confront him. I would hate myself if he hurt you.”

Brushing his finger through my hair, he gave a huff. “Anna, I can take him. Trust me ... Plus, I would feel a million times worse knowing that I let him hurt you.”

“Let’s take a vacation,” I said. “Or, let’s just run away.”

Seven chest vibrated as he laughed. “I can’t do that ... everything is here. You and I know that it would also be irrational of us to leave. We are adults now Anna, we - I ... have to face my problems. Besides, if we left either Leaven would hunt you and I down or move on to another victim. He has to be stopped. Once and for all…”

“...It’s her, isn’t it?” I breathed. “Jenny ... You love her.”

Seven grabbed my chin and forced me to look up at him. “I love you.”

Removing myself from him, I gripped the top cover. Wrapping, my bare body in it, I got off the bed. Reaching down on the floor, I picked up the clothes we had tossed on the ground. Throwing Seven’s clothes at him and putting on mine, while biting my tongue.

“Don’t be like this Anna,” Seven urged.

“Leave, Seven. It is obvious that I can’t change your mind. At the end of the day you will kill your brother and marry Jenny.”

“Anna-”

“She is a nice girl, too nice for me to continue sleeping with you behind her back. I know you love her too ... So, please, just leave,” I muttered just loud enough from him to hear.

“Listen to me, Anna. I love-”

Spinning around I cut him off once more. “Seven, I will not ask you again, leave.”

Studying me for a second, Seven sighed. His eyes casted down the moment he realized I was serious. I watched Seven collect his items and put on his clothes. Walking over to the door, he held the handle but made no attempt to leave.

I knew he was waiting for me to beg him to stay or at least tell him that I didn’t mean what I said. “Don’t look back, go,” I proclaimed.

Seven said nothing as he gave a nod and walked out of the room.

Clutching my chest, I felt as if my heart was just crushing into a thousand pieces.

***

Shoving everything into my briefcase I thought about how today was a very productive day. I’d taught my students their colors and how to count to twenty. Everyone was really catching on, well all but Sapphire and Blake. They were my two trouble makers in class, always trying to distract me with their evil ways.

Chuckling, I thought about how they are five and yet have such a vast taste for making trouble. Thinking more about it some more I figure unless one of them moves, they would more than likely end up together when they got older.

“Leaving already?” A female’s voice said from the front of my classroom.

Looking up I saw one of my colleagues, Amy Ashton. With a nod I replied. “Yeah, I had extra time on my planning period. Tomorrow’s day is all planned out,” I exclaimed as I grabbed my phone and briefcase.

“My planning period was spent with the principal. Some kid in my class threatened to stab another student with a pencil,” she exclaimed.

Walking over to her, I cut off the lights and we both entered the hall. I closed my door and locked it. Looking back at Amy I shook my head. “Maybe you should become a low grade level teacher like me. Less drama,” I told her.

Amy brushed a piece of her black hair behind her ear. “I could not handle little ones like you. My patience would run away in a matter of seconds if I was stuck in a room with the students you have.”

Laughing lightly, I shook my head. “Sad thing is I can see you yelling at all of them to stop eating glue or throwing glitter everywhere.”

“They do that?!” She quizzed with a shocked expression. I gave a bob of my head. “Oh, yeah, I would most definitely be a mad woman ... So, are you going to the party Mrs. Ambs is throwing?” Amy asked as she continued to fall me towards the front doors of the school.

“I don’t know yet,” I replied as I thought of the party the assistant principal, Mrs. Ambs was throwing for her forty-fifth birthday.

“Oh, well, I hope you do show because I really don’t like making conversation with a majority of the faulty here.”

“I will most definitely think about it,” I stated as we reached the front doors. Amy and I said goodbye after that and I made my way to Carollena’s car that was parked out front like usual. “Hey,” I greeted as I got in the passenger side of the car.

“Hello! So, how was work?” Carollena asked as she pulled out of the parking lot.

"Good, I guess.”

“Are we still going to go get some ice cream?”  A voice said from behind me.

Looking in the back seat I saw Heaven. Her eyes flickered over in my direction and she gave a faint smile. “Hey,” I said.

“Hi,” she mumbled.

"Yes, we are still going. Is your brother still coming?” Carollena quizzed.

“Yep,” Heaven said as she leaned back in her seat.

I went to open my mouth and request that Carollena drop me off at home before they go to the ice cream parlor. Yet, Carollena seemed to know what I was going to say and spoke up before me. “You are going with us, whether you like it or not.”

“Carollena-”

“No arguing,” she stated in a flat tone.

Melting in my seat, I knew there was no getting out of this. Carollena had made up her mind and wasn’t planning on changing it. It was then that all I could do was wonder which brother were we going to meet...