Chapter 28

I looked at the paper again, barely believing my eyes.  Out of all of the seaside cities in the world, it just had to be mine!

I would normally be jumping for joy, but now I would have to explain to mom that I chose to stay with the pirates when they gave me the option of going home.

Dad didnt' look to happy either.  Well, that's the understatement of the century.

He looked like he was about to have a heart attack.

"Okaaay...."  Trent muttered, as he took in the shocked look on our faces.  "I'm guessing that you've been to this place before."

I looked at Dad, and instead of shock, he now just had a look of panic on his face.

"Ha!"  a smug voice in the back of my head thought.  "Good luck explaining this one to mom, Dad!"

I immediately felt ashamed for thinking that, but I couldn't help what the little voice in my head said!  I guess a little part of me was still mad at him for leaving me and mom.

I snapped out of my thoughts, as Trent said "So, we're going to take ten taxis, with five per taxi.  I already called the drivers, and they're supposed to be here in ten minutes, so better be ready by then."

He walked off, leaving me and dad alone, not talking.

"So..watcha gonna say to mom?"  I asked casually, and he grimaced "I don't know, Lilo.  I've been thinking about what I would say to your mother for years now, but I've never gotten the courage to actually tell her.  Now I guess I don't have a choice."

I nodded, and couldn't help but feel sorry for Dad.  I knew that he loved mom, even though he left her for his stupid dream.

We sat in silence for longer, and then I heard the sound of the door being thrown open, along with Emily's voice, saying "Taxis are here!"

I  rushed outside, not wanting to stay any longer with dad and that awkward silence.

Lined up in the parking lot of the hotel was a row of taxis, stretching for blocks.  It actually looked kind of funny, all of them parked there together, but I wasn't really in a laughing mood at the moment.

I spotted Emily, Gale, and Jacob sitting in a car, and I hurried over to them, before someone else took my seat.

After I plopped in next to Emily, I sighed, thinking about how hard it was going to be to be back home.

"What's wrong Lilo?"  Emily asked, confusion in her voice. 

Oh my gosh, I still hadn't told her!

"Emily, you know how we're going to where Trent's ship is docked?"  I asked.  She nodded, and I continued.

"Well, guess what?  That's the same town we grew up in."  I finished, watching her expression turn from one of confusion to one of complete horror.

"What's your dad going to say to your mom?  Oh no!  WHAT WILL I SAY TO MY MOM?"  she screamed.

"Calm down!"  I hushed her, but she kept wailing.  "I feel so guilty for leaving her now!  I'm an awful person."

Me, Gale, and Jacob sat there silently, listening to Emily blabbering on and on. 

About an hour later, she shut up, and I finally closed my eyes and took a nap.

I woke to the sound of my name being called, over and over.  "Lilo!  Lilo!  Earth to Lilo!  You gonna wake up anytime soon?"  Jacob hollered in my ear.

I heard a quiet, familiar voice hushing him, and whispering "Shh, I have an idea."

I heard the sound of a marker being uncapped, and suddenly I felt something on my face.

I screamed, and jumped out of my chair.  My three friends were looking at me guiltily, like kids caught stealing cookies.

Why didn't I catch on sooner?  Emily has an evil mind!  When she says, "I have an idea."  it's NEVER a good thing!

I smacked each of them, and then stuck my head out of the window, so that I could see my reflection in the rear view mirror.

"Oh no!"  I screeched, as I realized that I had half of a french mustache on my face, in sharpie!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This was not how I wanted people to see me when I came home!  I looked like I had grown only half of a mustache!

I whirled around, glaring and ready to kill them, but as I was turning my head, I caught a glimpse of a sign out of the window.

I turned and looked, and gasped as I saw what it said.

"Coconut Palm, FL."

Had I really slept that long?  How could we be here already?

As if she was reading my thoughts, Emily informed me, grumbling, "Yeah, you slept for like five hours.  It's not a fun car drive when your best friend is drooling all over your arm!"

I blushed, as they all started cracking up.  "Did you see her sucking her thumb while she was asleep?"  Jacob choked out in between laughs, and my face turned even redder.

I heard Emily gasp, and I turned to look at her.  She was staring out the window, and I followed her gaze.

Right outside the window, was our street.  I looked out, and saw the house that I'd lived in for fifteen years, but haven't seen for a month.  To be honest, I never thought I'd see it again.

There was nothing in the world I wanted more right then than to open the car door, and go to my old house to give my mom a hug.

"ou can't do that, remember?  You're a pirate now." I told myself, and I turned away from the window, holding back the tears that were threatening to spill.

I saw that Emily looked on the verge of tears, too.  We both sat there, trying not to cry, as Gale and Jacob stared at us, trying to figure out what was wrong.

The taxi stopped, as we reached the dock, and I heard Trent paying all ten of the drivers.

He led us towards a large ship, even bigger than the old one, if was possible.  It had a black Jolly Rodger flag on the top, not even disguising the fact that it was a pirate ship.

Suddenly, I remembered the last time I'd been at this dock, and seen a pirate ship.  It didn't end too well.

The crew started boarding, and both Trent and my Dad waited at the bottom for everyone to get up.  I walked over, and stood next to them, about to ask Trent if he was looking for another treasure, when my voice was cut off.

"Lilo?"  I heard a quavering voice, from behind me.  I turned around, and saw my mom, staring at me with a shocked look on her face, and then her eyes landed on my dad.

That was when she burst into tears.

*******************************************************************************************************

Hey :)  Sorry it took a day to upload, I've been busy!  So, how did you guys like it?  TELL ME!!

COMMENT**                VOTE****               FAN******                      THANKS FOR READING!