Chapter 6

Lilo's P.O.V.

Ok, I have to admit that I've done a ton of crazy things in my life. I've probably done more insane things this month alone than ten average people have done in their entire life.

  But I can honestly say that I've never done anything as stupid as jumping off a moving pirate ship that was a good mile away from shore.

I tried to scream as I free-fell towards the quickly approaching water, but the wind was coming at me so hard that all I managed to do was make this really weird squealing sound that I really hope no one on the ship heard.

I mean, seriously, what if I died the second I hit the water, and that was the last sound I ever made in my life??

  I braced myself as I was about to hit the churning ocean.  I had heard a long time ago that if you fell from a high enough distance, hitting water would feel just like hitting rock solid cement.  I know that the ship wasn't that high, but it was sure tall enough to hurt an awful lot, and sure enough, right as I hit the water, SPLAT!!!!!

There's no words to describe how badly it hurt.  My whole body became numb, and I felt pain searing through my stomach.

My talented and extremely graceful self had managed to do a compete belly flop, and I had to bite my tongue to keep from yelling out in pain. 

 I was forced to come back to reality as I heard the pirates shouting on the deck, and yelling out instructions.  I tried to swim as fast as I could, but even I admit that a snail would probably look like Micheal Phelps compared to me. 

 And snails don't even swim! 

 I mentally slapped myself for not agreeing to take swimming lessons when my mom had begged me to last summer. 

 "Focus", I reminded myself.  I wasn't about to be captured again that easily, not after I had just escaped.

As I continued with my pathetic attempt at swimming, I heard a loud splash in the water behind me, followed by a groan.  "Well, looks like I'm not the only one who know how to do belly-flops around here." I thought smugly to myself as I tried my best to swim faster. 

 I heard whoever was chasing me catching up fast, and I tried hard not to panic.  Why did these things always have to happen to me!  I had to be the unluckiest person alive! 

 The person swimming after me was obviously very experienced, and I could hear their swift, powerful strokes pounding against the waves.  I risked a glance over my shoulder, and I saw the guy who had introduced himself as Gale earlier coming toward me with a cocky smile on his face.

  This caught me off guard.  We were in the middle of the oceans, I was swimming for my life from him, who had been friends with the jerks who kidnapped me, and he was smiling at a time like this!

Unfortunately, I had been too distracted by this to notice a large wave approaching me.

  "Duck!" I heard Gale shout, and I saw the fear in his face as I was swallowed by the wave. 

 I tried to swim back up, but another wave hit me, bringing me back down under the water.  I wanted to breathe so badly, and my lungs felt like they were on fire.  I splashed around in the water, frantically trying to pull myself back up to the surface. 

 I felt tears at the back of my eyes, and I was disgusted with myself.  After all that had happened to me, and I chose this moment to cry, but I couldn't help it.  I slowly began to drift down to the ocean floor, towards my watery grave. 

 "I wonder what heaven is like". I thought faintly. 

 The last thing I remember is a pair of strong arms wrapping around me and pulling me back up to the surface.

......................................................................................................................................................................

I groaned and rolled over.  I was having the best dream I'd had in a long time.  In my dream, I was completely comfortable.  A guy with very tan skin, dark brown eyes, brown hair, and a good looking face was stroking my hair, looking concerned.

  I smiled as he looked at me, but...wait...he looked kinda familiar... I wasn't liking this dream anymore.

I jumped about a foot in the air as I opened my eyes, looking around in surprise. 

 I was in in a small, cute room that was lined with wooden walls, and I was laying in a tiny bed with a checkered quilt on top.  Gale was sitting by the bed with a cup of water in his hand.

  Wait..had he really been stroking my hair?  I felt my blood boil with rage.  Nobody, I repeat, NOBODY touches me, and I glared at him with all the strength I could muster, but he just grinned at me.

  "How did I get in here?" I demanded in an impatient voice, "And why are you here?" 

 He looked a little bit hurt, but quickly got over it, and shot back, "Well after I saved your sorry butt, I brought you back onto the ship.  You looked like you were going to die, and you wern't breathing."  He smirked as he announced, "But I gave you mouth to mouth respiration, and you lived, so you're welcome."

  I felt myself blushing, and I muttered a quick "Thanks", before straightening up and reminding him, "You still didn't answer my other question.  Why are you in here?" 

 He nodded toward the glass of water he had been carrying in one of his hands and replied, "Capt'n said that I needed to bring you some water.  By the way, while we're on the subject, he also said that since you're not going home anytime soon, and we need to use the prison chambers for people who actually have a chance of escaping, you'll be allowed to walk around the ship, on one condition." 

He spoke the last part quickly, as if he were hoping that I didn't hear him. 

 "What condition?"  I asked, feeling the spark of hope that had appeared in my heart quickly begin to fade into nothing. 

He looked up and said in a hesitant voice, "Well, since you're still technically a prisoner, both you and your friend have been assigned someone to go with you everywhere, just to make sure that you don't try any funny business." 

 That's not that bad, I thought.  At least I won't be trapped in that room I was in before all day.  "So, who have I been assigned to?" I asked him.  I hoped that whoever she was that she would be nice, or at least decent to be around.

  I looked up and saw that Gale had become suddenly very interested with his hands, and he was playing with them nervously.  "So, what did you say your friend's name was again?"  He asked feebly, in a sad attempt at changing the subject. 

 "Answer my question."  I hissed, using my deadliest voice.  He flinched, then looked down, and muttered, "Me."