Chapter 21

Lilo's P.O.V.

We brought Devin to the hospital as soon as we got back to the ship.  Sadly, we soon realized that we didn't have nearly the medical equipment to treat his arm.   We were really on a lucky streak, though, because just as we were starting to worry, the lookout announced that a large island was ahead, which Gale had told me was called Natopia. 

When I asked him how he knew that, he had said, "All pirates know about it!  After we find a treasure, most pirates go there and spend all the money.  It's even called the Vegas for pirates, where you can waste all of your money in one night."

The good thing here was that even in the "Vegas For Pirates", there was a hospital for Devin, who had finally figured out that he was missing an arm. 

We had been sitting outside the hospital door, waiting for the doctors to let him in, and he had reached out to grab one of the knife sharpeners out of his pocket to sharpen his sword, and he had realized that he didn't have anything to grab it with.

His eyes had bugged out of his head for a second, while he stared at where his arm used to be.  After he got out of his shock, he wailed like a spoiled three year old would when their mom said they couldn't get something at walmart.

"What happened to my arm?? Tell me you're seeing this too, I'm not going insane, am I?? Did I really lose an arm?"  He shot out a few more questions, then suddenly stopped and glared at us, demanding an answer.

I sighed, and Gale reluctantly explained what had happened to him, how Gale had saved him from the shark, but had been to late to save his arm.  Devin sat quietly, listening, and when he opened his mouth, he said the thing that I would have never, ever expected.

"This is all your fault."  he told Gale, in a quiet whisper at first, but his voice rising, as he grew angrier and angrier.  "You've always been out to get me!  And you saw your chance, and instead of hurting  me yourself, you let the shark do it for you! 

You may think you're a hero, because you saved my life, and I'm sure everyone else will too, but I'll make sure they know what you really are.  You're a weak, spineless, fool just like your father was."

He finished with a sneer, and I felt myself filling with anger.  Gale had risked his life to save this scumbag, and now he was saying this?

I was about to reach out and break the arm he still had left, but Gale's calm words stopped me.  He looked expressionless, but I saw the cold fury hidden in his eyes.  "You're wrong, Devin."  Gale stated simply.

"Do you really think that if I wanted you dead, I would have jumped into a shark filled ocean to save you?"

Even Devin didn't have a snarky comeback to that, but he was saved from answering by the doctor, who had opened the door.

That was about an hour ago, and now the whole crew (except Devin) was gathered around the side, murmering excitedly to eachother about what they would spent their riches on this time.  I rolled my eyes as I heard them talk about some of the crazy things they would buy, and suddenly turned to Gale, a thought blooming in my head.

"What are you going to spend your part of the treasure on?"  I asked curiously, and he looked away like it was a touchy subject.  "I'm not spending my money."  he muttered, not looking me in the eye.

I nodded, not wanting to push the subject if he didn't want to tell me.  We sat in silence, and we watched the island come closer and closer, and we prepared to dock at the harbor.  That had to be the best part about this island, Natopia, we didn't have to hide the ship or dock in the middle of some deserted beach just to avoid the coast gaurd.