Chapter 26

Remember to read my new book, "My Life as a Teenage Superhero" !!!!  Ok, I'll shut up now and let you read the chapter :)

**********************************************************************************************

Emily's P.O.V.

The night was clear and starry, with a full moon lighting up the beach.

We looked at the map, which started at the large boulder, with water trickling over it, that we were all lined up in front of.

"Alright.." Trent began, looking at the map.  "It says that we take fifty steps into the water, to the right, until we get to what looks like a coral reef."

We all took fifty steps, and ended in about the same location.  I looked down, and sure enough, surrounded by millions of tiny clown fish, was a coral reef.

Lilo's dad took the map from Trent, obviously not wanting Trent to be able to do all the work.  "Twenty feet forwards, till we reach a tree with curled up branches."

We walked forwards, until I tripped over a large stump.  "Well, I guess the tree got caught down."  I called out to the rest of the crew, who rolled their eyes like it was obvious.

We went on like this for a while, with Trent and  Lilo's dad calling out directions, while the rest of us followed them.  I lost track of time after two hours, and I felt myself slowly drifting off to sleep, when a shout woke me up.

"We found 'em, Capt'n!" 

Found what?  I felt my eyelids fluttering back open, and I saw the whole crew gathered around two trees, that were leaning together, forming the shape of an X. 

The voice spoke up again. "Two trees intertwined, just like you said."  the person proudly stated. 

I heard Lilo chuckling next to me.  "X marks the spot, really?  Whoever these people were, they sure wern't original!"

I started giggling too, and soon both and me and Lilo were standing there, laughing our heads off, while the crew looked like they were ready to drive us to the Crazy Barn.

We finally got control of our laughter, and the crew shook their heads, and turned back to the two captains, who were choosing people to dig up treasure.

Thankfully, I didn't get chosen, because I was still tired, and I'd probably just slow them down anyway.

It only took a couple of minutes to get the treasure out of the ground, because the sand had worn away over the years.  I gasped, as I saw that it looked almost exactly the same as the chest that Lilo and Gale had brought back, from the other island.

We brushed the hardened sand off of the top, and as gently as we could, we tried to pry the chest open.

It didn't work, no matter how hard we tried.  Then, out of the lock, a tiny, rolled up piece of paper suddenly fell out.

The whole crew jumped back in surprise, and then Trent beckoned for everyone to move back, as he slowly unraveled the piece of paper.  His forehead scrunched, like he was thinking, and he handed it to Lilo, looking embarrassed for some reason.

"Uh, I think there's words on it, I'll let you read it."  he muttered, and Lilo smiled brightly at him.  "No, you're the captain, you can read it, it's only fair."

Trent scratched the back of his head, and quickly blurted out "I can't read, okay?" 

For a second I wanted to laugh, because I mean, seriously, the captain of a pirate ship can't even read?

I saw the embarrassed expression on his face, and I decided against it, not wanting to hurt his feelings.

Lilo took the paper out of his hands, holding it carefully like she was scared it would break.  She read it out loud, and it said-

"You've found this chest, in search of gold 
But  one person is the key,
 They are the only one who can let
This treasure  be free."

The crew looked at each other, not knowing what to do.  We'd come all the way here looking for this treasure, and now it wouldn't open!

"It says one person is the key, who's that?"  Gale asked, and Trent replied immediately, like he'd been thinking it over.

"This treasure belonged to Blackbeard."  he informed us.  "I'm guessing that the person who can unlock it would be his descendant."

I groaned.  It would take forever to find the descendant of Blackbeard!  Why couldn't it open for something else, like a purple monkey or something?  That'd be WAY easier to find than Blackbeard's long lost relative.

In a desperate attempt, Dad made all of us line up, and try to open the chest.  I know, the chances were like 1/9999999999, but still, it was worth a shot!

Actually, no it wasn't, because none of us could open it.

We tried EVERYTHING to get it to open.  Some of the  crew even went and stole a blowtorch, and that didn't even work!

Exhausted and hopeless, we all lay down on the beach glumly.  Poor Trent was still trying to figure out how to open the chest, and Lilo was trying to convince him to just stop and try again tomorrow, since it was like 3:00 AM. 

I crawled over to them, and I told Trent, "You know, maybe Lilo's right, why don't you just try again another time."  Because you're keeping the rest of us up!  I thought in my head, but didn't say it.

"Here wait, let my try this one last thing.  You hold the lock to the side, while I try to break a hole in it with this stick."  Trent demanded, and I rolled my eyes.  How desperate can you be to open one treasure chest?

But I did it anyway, just to get him to leave the chest alone hopefully after it didn't work.

I grabbed the lock, and was about to pull it to one side, when I felt something sharp inside of it prick my finger.

"OUCH!"  I cried, as I felt a small drop of blood roll down my finger, and into the keyhole.

"Nice job, Trent, look what you made me do to my finger!"  I grumbled, but Trent was completely ignoring me, his eyes focused on the chest, and his mouth hanging open.

I turned to see what he was staring at, and I jumped back, startled.  The treasure chest was glowing, and slowly, the top lifted up, to reveal mountains of gold.

"Em."  Lilo breathed, her eyes wide as she stared at me.  "You're the descendant of Blackbeard.

************************************************************************************************************

hehe, so what do you guys think?  COMMENT, AND VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pretty pretty please, with strawberries on top????