We have company...

Gale's P.O.V.

        Life as a pirate isn't really as fun as it seems.

 I mean, yeah, it has it's upsides, like when we attack another ship for a fight to the death and things like that, but a lot of the time we're just sailing around, trying to figure out some insanely difficult map.

So of course you can imagine my surprise as One Eyed Mack came back to our ship after we sent him to get food, but instead he carried two struggling bodies.

 As soon as he stepped onto the deck, dozens of crew members crowded around the scene, and as hard as I tried, I couldn't get a better look at his captives. 

Suddenly, a loud voice boomed out from captions chambers.  "WHAT IS THE MEANING OF ALL OF THIS??!!!"  Caption Bootleg shouted. 

 Mack hurried over to where the caption was standing and began to whisper into his ear.  The Caption's scowl deepened, but finally he nodded. 

"It must be done", he muttered.  "What must be done?" I thought desperately.  I hated not knowing what was going on, and this was driving me mad.

All through that evening, I heard snipets of conversation about our prisoners, but not enough to give me any real information.  I did my evening chore of swabbing the deck glumly, disgusted that nobody would tell me what the heck was going on.

 I was 16, and I wasn't a child anymore, even though they still treated my like one.  After I had cleaned the deck so perfectly that you could almost see your own reflection, I walked down to our sleeping cabins under the deck. 

 As soon as I walked in, I saw my cabin mates gathered around at our table, discussing something in low, dark voices. 

 I tried to slip in unnoticed, but my enemy, Devin, spotted my and everyone immediately stopped talking. 

Typical Devin, I thought darkly as I stormed back to the deck.  We had been enemies since both our fathers had worked on the same ship, and we had been forced to play together as little kids.  When I was seven, my dad had mysteriously disappeared, and his father had become captain of the ship.

  Since then, Devin had been treated like royalty, and I had been treated like scum.  Of course, Devin was allowed to know what was happening.

 I was shaken out of my gloomy thoughts by a loud "Hey, you there!" 

 I turned in surprise and saw the captain glaring at me, hatred clear in his face.  "You need to take this to the captives."  He thrust a bowl with a bit of cod soup and a bottle of water into my hands.

  I looked at him suspiciously, wondering why he had asked me to do such an important task, but his face didn't give any emotion away, so I shrugged and said, "Yes Captain".

  I almost ran to the prisoners room, so eager to see what everyone was making such a big fuss about that I didn't even bother to watch where I was going. 

I stood outside our prison door and hesitated.  I didn't know what, or who was in there.  Slowly, I twisted open the knob.

  I looked inside the door, and saw.... nothing.

  There was nobody in here.  I turned to leave, and in a split second I was in a headlock.  I gasped and choked, but the grip didn't loosen. 

"You are going to tell your boss to let us go this instant, or I'm going to kill you."  A high, girly voice breathed into my my ear.  Wait a second, I was being held captive by a girl?  I bet Devin would just love to see this...

  I grabbed her arm and flipped her over, and it was her turn to be pinned to the ground.  My breath caught in my throat as I looked at her. 

She had shiny black hair, and eyes the same color as the ocean.  She was the most beautiful thing I'd seen in my life.