The news

Lilo P.O.V.

I tried to stay calm as I walked into my classroom.  The room was completly set up for testing, with all the posters and anything at all that could be used for testing covered up. 

 The room looked so dull and lifeless that needless to say it didn't really improve my mood.

  During the test, Ms. Raven always forces us to sit in a certain order, so that it was impossible to cheat off someone's paper.  I slowly walked up to ask Ms. Raven where I should sit, but her face was completely glued to the TV that was sitting by her desk. 

 I resisted the urge to wave my hand around in her face, and instead, I asked softly, "Umm.. Ms. Raven, will you please tell me where to sit, because I know that testing's about to start, and-" 

 'Hush!" She cut me off sharply, and I jumped back, startled. 

 "Wow", I thought to myself, "someone's in a bad mood." 

I shuffled back to my seat that I usually sit in and took out my pencils and paper.  I pulled my notes out and started to review for the exams, though I doubted it would do any good. 

 I looked up when I realized that all the talking had stopped, and I saw the whole class gathered around the teachers desk, all watching the TV with confused looks on their faces.  Curiously, I put my notes in my backpack and towards the TV to see what everyone was so upset about. 

 A reporter was standing by the beach, and I strained my ears to hear what he was saying, over the whispers of my other classmates. 

 "Long ago, pirates ruled the seas.  They were bloodthirsty thieves, and as times changed, pirates disappeared for the most part. But it seems that some didn't get the memo.  We have just received the shocking news that there are still some people out there who seem to have continued the old ways of pirate." 

 The reported droned on and on about how these pirates still acted like the ones from hundreds of years ago, and that they were suspected to be sailing off the coast of Florida. 

 "Who knows what these people will do next, who they will target," continued the reporter, "But for now, we should all be on the lookout."

  I looked around and saw that most of my friends had frightened looks on their faces, and I sighed.  Man, people get freaked out so easily.

  So what if a couple of nut jobs thought that they could play pirate?  But no, by the way that my classmates were reacting, it's like they expected Blackbeard himself to come sailing right up to our school on a cloud of sparkling pixie dust to kill us all.

  I rolled my eyes and went back to my seat to study again. 

 Finally, a good half hour later, Ms. Raven turned of the TV and said, "Ok students, it's time to take your tests, so please get out a pencil and paper. 

 "Ms. Raven," a girl named Hannah called out from her desk, "Do you think that there's a possibility that the pirates could come here?  I mean, our town is by the sea." 

 Our teacher seemed lost in her own thoughts, so I spoke up and said "Hannah, how many towns are there on the coast of Florida? Hundreds! The chance that the pirates would actually come to our town is 1/999999999, and even if some sort of miracle happened and they did come here, what are the odds that you would even get harmed at all?" 

Hannah looked relieved, and Ms. Raven began to pass out the exams.  Ok, now crazy pirates was going to be the last thing on my mind..