Tired

Nova pov

After hanging up with Mel, I went back to my suite. She still wasn't ready to give up Omar, which is fine. I just hope she's having a good time with her nephew. Even though I'm not too fond of Laila or Joyce at the moment, it's nice that they are getting a little bonding time with him too. Mel seemed a little hesitant to tell me that they're around him, but I don't mind. I refuse to be a bitter parent. Just because I'm not too fond of some of his relatives doesn't mean I should keep him from them. I can count on one hand how many times Tommy and I got to see our relatives on our mom's side. Besides a few uncles and aunts, we really didn't know anybody on the other side of the family. I want better for Omar.

I seen Tommy sitting on the floor in front of the coffee table. He had his head laying on his laptop and the word document he had up had nothing on it. I really hope it's supposed to be like that.

"Tommy wake up." I walked over to him and kneeled down to rub his back. It took a minute, but I was able to wake him.

"Oh hey N.... WHAT THE FUCK?!" his eyes widened as he looked at his laptop. He started mashing random buttons but nothing changed. "No... this can't be happening."

"What were you doing?"

"I was so close to being finished with my annotated bibliography and now it's all gone!" Legit tears came out his eyes. I could barely believe what I was seeing. This is coming from a guy who didn't really give a damn about school at one point. Now he's been real focused on bettering himself. I'm so proud of him.

"When is it due?"

"The thursday after next, but if I go ahead and get it out the way some of this stress will go away. Thst way I can knock out these other little assignments easily."

"Did you handwrite it or did you have it all on the laptop?"

"I handwrite everything before I type it to turn it in. It's so many damn pages though. The papers are right here." He groaned as he picked up a thick stack of papers.

"Well how about this. If you give me the papers and your laptop later, I'll retype it for you. All of it."

"Nova it's too much..."

I grabbed his laptop and the papers. I went to my room to drop his stuff on my bed. I admire his determination. I have no problem helping him since he's been putting effort in. That's all I ever wanted from him.

When I went back to the living room area, he had his head on the table again. I helped him off the floor and to his room so he could lay in his bed. Once he was situated, I left the suite again.

Thankfully Asia was already finished cooking by the time I got back. I helped her set the table and fix the food and drinks. Her, Khalid, Taylor, and I sat at the table. We said a prayer before beginning to eat. Well, at least Asia, Taylor, and I did. Khalid just say there picking at the food. He looked like he was on the verge of tears. A little earlier he was in his room playing his game. I heard him laughing; he sounded fine. I wonder what happened that quick.

"Khalid fix your face and eat your food. You can't always have your way."

"I'm not hungry Asia."

I don't recall ever hearing him call her Asia.

"I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT! Eat Khalid." Asia slammed her fist against the table. Hate to say it, but I flinched worse than Khalid did. Her anger has been over the top lately.

He sat there and folded his arms over his chest. When her hand rose up, I put my hand out to grab hers in fear that she was about to hit him or something.