A Monster Dressed in Pink

When Elizabeth woke up, her hands were no longer shackled together. She was lying on something hard and found herself in an empty hallway. Her vision was blurry, something was lying there in front of her. “Snape?” She asked questioningly as her vision cleared. “Snape?”  She crawled towards the figure in front of her. Her hands began to shake and her heart pant. When she was about to lay a hand on the persons shoulder she heard footsteps coming towards her. It wasn’t before then she looked down on herself. Her white shirt was stained. Blood.

McGongall together with Umbridge stopped dead, looking down at her. Elizabeth lying over the body, her shirt filled with blood and a knife found a couple of meters in front of them. The knife which now McGonagall were holding. Elizabeth was confused, not knowing what to say. She heard more footsteps coming towards them and it was then everything happened so fast.

She found herself back in the tower. Freezing. What happened? The one second she was laying there on the couch…the next? Had she done it? Had she killed him, was he dead? All these thoughts were in her mind, what should she do? What would happen to her? She brought her knees up to her chest and covered her ears by her now shackled hands. Trying to keep all the thoughts and all the noise out of her head.

“I honestly don’t know what to say Professor.” McGonagall spoke. It had been a long discussion between the headmaster and Umbridge. The headmaster didn’t answer her, only remembering how Elizabeth looked like when they found her. She looked…unprepared. Like she didn’t even have the time to let the situation sink in.

Snape had left them a few minutes ago and was now on his way to the tower. At first he couldn’t see her, but then as his eyes adjusted to the darkness she came to view. Huddled in one of the corners. It took a while before she noticed his presence. But she couldn’t look at him, not now. “What happened?” He asked coldly, making her already small figure shrink. “I don’t know.” She said with a horse tone. “You don’t know? Is that supposed to be a joke? Do you know the seriousness of the situation?” He hissed angrily. “Is he dead?” She asked, afraid of his answer. There was a long silence before he answered. “No.” A wave of relief spread inside her and she breathed out the air she didn’t even know she was holding. “Did you do it?” Snape asked, he had to ask. The evidence was more than enough, but yet he had his doubt. Elizabeth came closer to him and rested her hand on one of the bars, looking up at him. This time in the eyes. “I don’t know.” She sounded like she had no idea where to put herself.

“Tell me what happened?” He spoke, trying to look away from the tears that were leaking down her eyes. “I don’t know.” She repeated. “You don’t know? Tell me! What is it that you don’t know?” He growled. Elizabeth didn’t answer him at first. Only supported her body at the wall. Snape stared at her for a moment until he turned around to leave. But stopped from her voice. His back turned against her. “I was lying on your couch and falling asleep. Then I woke up in the hallway.” She said. Snape turned towards her. Looking into her eyes for a second before leaving her alone.

“What is going to happen Headmaster?” He asked Dumbledore. “I am afraid I don’t know Severus.” It was a pause before Snape spoke again. “That man, was he-?”

“A muggle yes Severus, indeed he was.” It became silent again and Dumbledore sighed. “He claims he was attacked in the middle of the night, much more we couldn’t get out of him.” Snape spoke the words before Dumbledore would have guessed. “Do you think someone has been tempering with his memory?” It was only a thought he had shared out loud, but Dumbledore didn’t reply. Not until later. “It’s possible, but…” He trailed off. “Difficult to prove.” Snape finished for him. Dumbledore nodded. “Precisely.”

“When do they take her?” Snape spoke, knowing he was going out on a thin ice. “The Ministry has agreed on letting Ms Taylor stay in the tower until further evidence is found. Off course I am not sure how long that is going to continue if there are more attacks.”

In the mean time Elizabeth was sitting in the tower, so freezing cold. Chatting her teeth and trying to keep the warmth inside. “She heard familiar footsteps from a certain woman’s high heels and automatically clenched her fists. “Go away!” She growled. “Is that a way to treat a member of the jury?” The woman spoke and Elizabeth spoke coldly. “I want you to get out of my sight.”

“And what are you going to do? I highly doubt you can do anything in your position, Ms Taylor.” Elizabeth didn’t answer her; instead she just stared the other way. “Tell me dear, how did the tea taste like?” Her voice broke the silence. She looked up into Umbridge’s satisfied eyes. “And what is that supposed to mean?” Elizabeth sneered. But as she said so realization hit her and she stared at her with wide open eyes. “It was you.” She mumbled. There was a laugh from Umbridge’s throat. “Nonsense. You have finally revealed who you really are Ms Taylor. A monster.” And with that the toad looking woman left. Waggling her but back and forth exaggeratingly while she walked. Leaving a shocked Elizabeth behind. She felt betrayed, shocked, stabbed in the back, like all air had been forced out of her, but most of all foolish. How could she have been that dumb, so blind? She let out a groan and lied down on the cold floor. Hitting her fist in the wall. Making one of her knuckles crack as she let out a scream of pain while she cursed silently. “I hate that toad.”