Another good deed

Snape didn’t speak much to Elizabeth the next couple of weeks and she had no idea why. Why should she care? She should definitely not care, yet she felt like there was something screaming inside of her. She just didn’t figure out what.

Under her classes that day she noticed one of the first years was clutching his hand to his chest. First she didn’t think about it, but there was sometimes it looked like he was in pain. His facial expression stiff and it looked like he tried not to get noticed. “Trevor, may I have a word?” She spoke on his way out. Nodding his head he followed her into her office. “Are you alright?” She asked. Trevor nodded his head, but the boy from Hufflepuff didn’t meet her eyes. “I know you are lying, trust me I have experience. Now shall we begin again?” She spoke, her voice strict. Trevor didn’t answer, only stared down at the ground. “I want you to tell me Trevor. You are not leaving this room until you tell me.” She spoke again, going a little bit too far. Trevor brought his left hand up to his chest and his movement caught her eye. “Let me see your hand.”

Trevor hesitated, but didn’t want to say against a Professor. Shakily he gave her his hand. The sight that met her, covered by his sleeve made her gasp. The words “I must not be rude.” Was carved into his flesh. The scars were still red. ‘Umbridge’ she stated for herself.

“You may leave.” She spoke up, still a little bit absent. Under dinner by the entrance hall she overheard Umbridge speaking to Potter. “I want order. I am afraid the consequences will be d-“ She began, but reacting on instinct Elizabeth spoke up. “Actually I am afraid that is not possible.” Umbridge looked a little taken aback, the same time McGonagall approached. “And how is that?” Umbridge barked, not so sweet anymore. “Potter has detention with me.” Elizabeth said, laying a hand on Harry’s shoulder, not removing her gaze from Umbridge. “On what cause?” McGonagall interrupted before Umbridge could ask. “A pathetic attempt to brag in front of the hole class, instead as the spell he was casting was quite difficult, it backfired and completely ruined my papers.” She lied smoothly, adding a little dramatic effect. “Well then I think it is on its place that I-“ Umbridge began again, but Elizabeth smiled a fake smile towards her and said softly. “I don’t think that is necessary. Potter is going to get enough from me. But thank you for the offer.” She spoke and before Umbridge could actually give him detention she managed to get Harry moving and fallowed behind.

Umbridge and McGonagall were left in the stairs, arguing. But Elizabeth had her mind focused on something else. Severus. He had just ignored her for several weeks. She bloody saved his life. The headmaster was eyeing her as she stared out in middle air, thinking hard that you could almost hear her brain buzzing.

On her way out of dinner McGonagall gripped her arm and stopped her. “What are you going to do with Potter?” She asked strictly. “Huh?... Nothing.” She replied a little bit absent. “You gave him detention.” She spoke up, reminding her. Elizabeth looked around before she grabbed the old witch’s wrist and dragged her away from the center of the hall. “Promise you won’t tell anyone.” She said in a hushed tone. McGonagall narrowed her eyes at her. “Umbridge is literally torturing the students.” She spoke, looking McGonagall straight in the eyes, begging for her to believe her. “Then we must inform Dumbledore.” The prim woman said. “No!” Elizabeth spoke a little bit too high. “He is going to get fired. She works for the Ministry, there is nothing we can do.” McGonagall looked at her for a moment, before saying. “I am sorry, but I can’t-“ Elizabeth shook her head. “Just please, wait. Alright?” She begged. The prim woman didn’t reply, but Lizzie took her silence as a yes. “Thank you!” Before walking towards her office were the famous Harry Potter were waiting.

“Professor I don’t understand-“ He began but Lizzie broke him off. “Give me your hand.” She said and pulled out her wand. Muttering an incantation surprisingly enough she had learned from a book she had stolen from Snape. It was around a year ago, but he had a few spells that could come in handy.

“You may leave.” She said as fast as the wound had closed. Harry looked a little frozen in his tracks before he spoke. “Thank you, Professor.” Elizabeth didn’t reply and just left the classroom. Letting Potter find his own way out. There was a number of different thoughts in her head, It was hard to keep the track on everything.

The days passed by and Snape just ignored her. He didn’t even supervise her anymore. Soon she just couldn’t take being ignored and stamped towards his office. Banging on the door. “What?” He sneered angrily as he ripped it open. “Oh, it’s you.” He said with disgust in his voice. Elizabeth looked a little taken aback. “Don’t you have anything else to say than: it’s you?”

“Like what?” His scowl grew bigger and it would have frightened any student and even adult. But Elizabeth got just as angry and now it was her who had the advantage. “Well Thank you is for a start. You haven’t spoken to me in weeks.”

“Then why should I?” Snape’s lips quirked upwards into a smirk. “Did you honestly think that I cared one bit about you?” He said taking a step forward. “I thought we were friends.” She mumbled, realizing how much his words had actually hurt her. “And why would you believe that?” He said, narrowing his eyes, only trying to make her feel bad. “I-I.” She began, but sighed. “Forget it.” She finally mumbled and walked off. Not giving Snape what he thought would happen. The satisfaction of pissing of Elizabeth. Instead he got this annoying feeling inside of him that he let something slip.

Elizabeth was quite on her way down the corridors, a numb feeling in her stomach. “Ms. Taylor?” A calm and comforting voice said as he gripped her arm. She looked straight into the eyes of Albus Dumbledore. “Are you alright?” He asked. “Yeah, I am fine.” She answered, but couldn’t convince herself entirely. “You seem a little…down” He explained. “The winter is coming, it will pass.” She said and walked off. Leaving the headmaster behind.

Why was she feeling so depressed? She hadn’t felt like this since her parents died, it was like nothing mattered anymore. She just wished she could start over, not make the same mistakes as she did before. It ended with a little visit towards the Forbidden Forrest. It was pure foolishness, but if she didn’t survive nobody would care one bit about her. Her parents were dead…Snape didn’t care . Wait! Why did she even care about what Snape thought?