1. The Beginning

(Y/n) let out another scream. Her throat was already scratchy and hoarse from screaming the past few times, and she was beginning to think that the inhabitants of every island she had passed cared only for themselves. On second thought, no one could help her, unless they could sprout wings to chase after her.

The dragon's claws on her arms gripped her tight enough to cut off her blood circulation. They were numb and every sway of her body shot shocks through her nerves. When she looked down, she could see the dark ocean water, lit by the pale moonlight. She couldn't reach for her sword even if she had tried. And she didn't want to either. If the dragon dropped her into the ocean, she would have a hard time swimming, since there were no islands in sight, and she would be food for any creatures lurking underwater.

The dragon that had ambushed and carried her off was probably taking her to its nest. She could try to fight her way out once she's back on land, but she... she's never fought a dragon on her own before. 

When a dark island loomed into view, she stopped struggling. She was exhausted by the trip. The dragon had taken her from her island when she was about to call it a night. She was mildly irritated to be taken away from yet another place she was growing comfortable in, but she wouldn't miss the place. Luckily, her satchel was hanging across her shhoulders and had everything she needed, but she had paid for two more nights at the inn on the island she had been taken from, and that sort of sucked. 

The dragon hovered over the sandy inlet, and every flap of the wings drew a great wind that blew over her face. The dragon threw her on the sand and it landed down. Her face hit the dirt first and she had a mouthful of wet sand, but she managed to quickly push herself up and turned over, spitting out the sand.

When (Y/n) looked up, she came face to face with the dragon. 

The dragon let out a snort through its nose. Its ferocious red eyes narrowed at her. She squeaked and dragged herself away from the creature, but it followed her on quick, silent feet. Its sharp talons glinted in the moonlight, dragging through the sand roughly. Her breath turned ragged and she could hear her heart pound erratically.

"Oh, gods! Oh gods! I'm going to die."

The dragon put its face close to hers and grunted, its hot breath fanning her face. She let out a choked sound and screwed her eyes shut. All her instincts to fight back melted away from her, and she only trembled. She could smell its fishy stench that made bile rise up her throat. 

"Oh, gods," (Y/n) gasped, "Odin, you bastard, let me live."

Her heart was a wardrum in her chest and her fingers shook as she waited and waited for the dragon to kill her - to sink its claws and rip her apart. 

(Y/n) felt the hot breathing subside, and a great flap of wings, and when she next opened her eyes, the dragon was gone. She looked around desperately, wondering if the dragon was maybe playing with its food, trying to keep her paranoid, but when she realized she was alone, she threw herself back on the sand and sighed. 

"Sorry for calling you a bastard," (Y/n) whispered to the air. Her shaky hands clutched at the sand and she inhaled deeply. She exhaled shakily. Her ears were still keen on hearing for the dragon's return.

Why hadn't it killed her? 

For long moments, (Y/n) scanned her surroundings. The forest was dark and she knew better than to explore it when predators were lurking. 

But a thought lingered in her mind: if the dragon didn't kill her when she was the most helpless, why would it kill her when she was ready for it?

Thinking took up a little too much of energy, and (Y/n) was not ready to drive herself into a crisis when her body ached and her mind was dull, so she let herself relax on the sand near some boulders, pulled her bag under her head, and dozed off.