Being There For Me.

Carlo

    When I say Canada is hot, I mean it. I felt like I was being fried yet I wasn't sweating. The heat from the sun warmed us from inside the car making Jacinta, who sat in front, turn up the air conditioner.

"Is it always this hot?" Camila asked again as she fanned herself.

"Yeah." Ariesa muttered then asked loudly, "Where are you from again? You don't sound Australian."

"We moved from Puerto Rico to Sidney when we were little." Jacinta answered.

Ariesa gasped, her hand clutching her chest lightly, "Oh my goodness. I love Puerto Rico people."

"Ever met anyone except us?" Escalante looked up from the game he was playing for the first time and asked.

"No, but when I volunteered for the Pan am games last year here in Toronto, they played volley ball and I got to work close to them. To be honest, they have the hottest girls I have ever seen and not to mention the guys. My god!"

"Oh." He nodded slowly then whispered to me in Spanish, "Ella es definitivamente gay."

    Rolling my eyes, I shook my head at his stupidity. Some time I wish he could just shut up.

    Waking up after the really long ride, I found myself getting out of the car to stare at the empty woods. I stared confused at it until my sister called me to get my bag.

"Carlo, get over here."

Sluggishly, I walked up to her and the driver murmured something as he lifted my luggage out the trunk and handed it to me. I took it with a big humph and dropped it slowly to the ground.

Everyone took theirs and then turned towards Ariesa who was already heading into the woods. Camila's eyes widened, "Where are you going?"

The driver closed the truck when he was sure none of our items were in it and said to Ariesa, "So Ari, I'm going to head back to town. Gather the supplies I was supposed to bring."

"Yes, Yes. You do that now or the manager will be pissed again." She rolled her eyes.

    Said driver was a tanned Chinese man but his English was superb. Are all Chinese good in English as he was? I couldn't help asking myself as I gaped at him just as he entered the car.

     Jacinta, Camila, and Escalante were still rather shocked that they were going to live in the woods. It was still camping to me but if it was this kind of camping, our parents should have mentioned it because I didn't pack a tent.

"Are we going to live in there?"

"Yes now come. The trees will shade you from the sun." She said, looking at us one by one before she sighed and added, "I believe it would be smart to pull off your sweat shirts, cardigans and sweaters if you want to survive in this country right now."

    That was when we actually took notice of what we were wearing. Jacinta wore blue fitted jeans with an inner shirt then added a hoodie on top of it. Camila loved to wear dresses or skirts but she also loved to wear panty hose depending on how short the dress or skirt was. Now she was wearing a red short dress with skin colored panty hose with a black cardigan and a beach hat she had just fetched from her bags.

Escalante wore a fitted black jeans and red knitted sweater his grandma gave him the last time we travelled back to our hometown. I, myself, normally wore tons of clothing. I wore my really thick jeans with my white t-shirt but with a sweatshirt on top.

What?  We came from Australia. It does it to ya.

Jacinta groaned loudly then started pulling her bag to where Ariesa was standing, "I'm too lazy to take off my shirt so can we just get there or something. I cannot stand around any longer."

Ariesa's red lips fell into a grin, "Shall we?"

"Vamos guys. Come on." Jacinta started to rush us and we were forced to oblige. Beside, our Chinese driver had already gone.

    We have been walking for what felt like hours. Camila had been complaining about it but Jacinta always made sure she kept her quiet. The both of them knew how to handle each other which showed how close they were. Even when they went to different colleges they still made each other their top priority.

I glanced at Escalante and wondered if it was the same. Looking back at past events, I realized that it wasn't.

    Escalante would rather go to a party than hang with me sometimes and he always chose his boyfriends over me any day. Lucky for me, none of them ever lasted because they always made me feel jealous and I hated admitting it to myself.

Gosh, you are such an ass.

"But I haven't done anything to you yet."

My cheeks warmed up when I looked away from him. I hadn't meant to say it out loud.

"Relax dimwit. I'm just kidding with you." He laughed and bumped his shoulder with me.

"Guys, do you hear that?" Camila stopped rolling her luggage and stared wide eyes at Ariesa. "It sounds like people."

    We stopped and listened and slowly we heard them. It was the sound of people laughing and talking. I could even hear music and the earth beneath my feet shook softly.

I chuckled at my sister, "I guess we made it."

"Okay." Ariesa looked at us with that same smile on her face, "Just remember to put on a smile." She added cheerfully then passed through the bushes.

    This was it. I felt the adrenaline pump through my blood, awakening something rare inside me. I've never been this excited about anything before. Escalante was always the one making me excited because I was always too shy to do anything. But Escalante and I made a promise and I was going to come through with it.

No matter the crowd, no matter the number of boys hotter than me and girls sexier than my eyes could take. I was going to be confident and the moment I stepped into the crowd, I knew I could do it because Escalante smiled at me. He was going to be there for me.