Who Had It Under Control.

Carlo.

Today was another bright day and was also the Fencing and Football competitions day. They were both starting at the same time but no one really cared about the football match because no one from our close ring of friends were participating in it.

     Everyone from Valentine to Alexander were gathered around Jacob to wish him good luck. The match was only 9 minutes with three minutes interval and a short one minute break in between. The first person to get 15 touches by the end of the game wins. It was a simple game and since this was my first time watching such a game, I was excited.

As Dave cracked dumb jokes to ease the tension, I noticed another crowd at a far corner of the hall. Just as Jacob was dressed in his whites, a girl in the middle was wearing the same exact thing and my eyes widened when I realized who she was.

     I looked away from her before she could catch my stare and said to Jacob, interrupting something Alex was saying, "Uh, Jacob, who's your opponent?"

"Birdie Bock." He turned to me with an amused look, "Why are you asking?"

Swallowing, I looked away from him to nothing in particular. "Just curious. Any other group playing or are the both of you the only ones participating?" I tried to stare straight ahead because I was suddenly feeling awkward. Especially with Birdie in the same room as me and Escalante staring holes at my back.

"No." he answered slowly, noticing my awkwardness. He glanced beside me at Es before shrugging nonchalantly and throwing a hand around Dave's shoulder. "My game is first then two others. We were split into six groups and the best had to battle in the finals."

"Oh. Well, good luck."

"He doesn't need it." Dave smirked at Jacob, nuzzling his cheeks then added, "He's amazing."

A smile grew on my face at Dave's display of emotion and for a while, I forgot my own dilemma and just watched Jacob nibble his ear playfully. They were adorable and I was glad to see Jacob and Dave had come to terms with their feelings.

Someone announced the game was going to start in five minutes and we said our final good luck to Jacob before looking for somewhere to seat. Sadly, the only free seats were at the corner Birdie was in and I really didn't want to talk to her.

Trying to hide myself as we neared her, I pressed myself against Es who welcomed me without a word and slid his arm around my waist.

That distracted me for a minute and I stared up at him. He was looking elsewhere and I immediately felt desperate for his attention. I wanted those forest green eyes on me and strangely, only me. And that was an oddity for someone like me. Normally, I hated when people stared at me. Even when I had girlfriends. When they stared, I felt like they were all judging me and it made me feel uncomfortable.

But when Escalante stared at me or even glanced my way, it made my entire existence feel alive. This wasn't just wanting him to look at me, I needed him to look at me because just those gazes made me feel loved.

Surfacing out of my thoughts, I noticed we had stopped moving and my heart beat quickened when I saw Birdie standing right in front of me, staring from Es to me. Her gaze was exactly what I hated. She looked like she was judging me and from the frown working on her face, I could only guess they weren't good thoughts.

Birdie slowly stopped frowning and sighed, leaning her weight on one leg as crossed her arms over her chest. "Hey."

I was speechless.

"Move it woman, I've got to find myself and my boyfriend a seat." Es spoke up quickly and stressed the word 'boyfriend' that it actually irritated me a bit.