Chapter Eighteen

“Christian! You don’t have to do this. Please!” I saw the monster draw his claws out.

“Christian!” The monster ran his hands straight through his heart. I screamed.

I bolted straight up. I could feel the sweat dripping from my forehead. That dream was so vivid.

I looked around and saw Jace sleeping just a few feet away from me. He looked so sad, and his eyes were red. Has he been crying? I looked next to him to see Christian’s empty sleeping bag. I jumped to my feet.  Where is he? Is he alright? I mean he can’t survive out there by himself. Not when he’s injured.

I quietly yelped out a scream of pain. I just remembered that my foot was broken, and the pain in my arm started to escalate. It was giving me a migraine. I put my head in my hands. I wish the pain would go away. Before I knew it I started to tilt backwards, I awaited the hard ground but all I felt was a hard but comfy chest.

“You know you should be resting?” he said. At that moment a rush of emotions started pooling out. Christians alright! I felt so relieved.

I spun around and hugged him as tight as I possibly could. I felt that if I didn’t, he would just disappear and I would never see him again.

“Rose-” he chuckled. “You’re hurting my-”

“I’m sorry Christian. I didn’t mean for you to get hurt-” Tears started to escape my eyes. “I’m such an idiot. I know you must hate me now, and I’ll accept it, but I just want you to know that I’m sorry-” Before I knew what happened his lips collided with mine.

I was so surprised. He grabbed my waist and pulled me closer to him. He smelt wonderful. Everything felt so right. I could kiss him forever.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, only to wince because of the pain in my arm. He immediately removed his lips from mine.

“You should rest. Your arm will heal in a couple of days, but for now you need to take it easy.” I nodded.

“Oh and Rose, I don’t hate you. Actually the opposite, but don’t worry about that now. We’ll talk in the morning.” With that he walked over to the already blazing fire, and used his uninjured hand to put wood in it.

I looked after him. Did I hear what I think I just heard? He doesn’t hate me. For some reason I could feel my heart flutter a little.

He stood, walked over to me gave me a small kiss on my forehead then went into his sleeping bag. I could feel the redness rising to my cheeks. I started to feel hot. I took this as my cue to go to bed  but this time with a smile.

***

Why do I feel like I’m being rustled? I opened my eyes to come face to face with the back of Jace’s head.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m carrying you. Do you really think I was going to let you walk with your broken leg?”

“Oh, thanks. Where’s Christian?”

“He’s right behind you.” I looked behind me and saw Christian smiling, I smiled back. He’s so cute. My smile dropped immediately after seeing his arm wrapped up in some type of manmade sling.

“How’s your arm?” I asked

“Already healing. Don’t worry about it, we vampires heal fast. I’ll be better than new tomorrow.” I nodded my head. I still thought it was my fault that he was in that condition.

“Rose, it’s not your fault. If it’s anyone’s fault it’s mine. I knew these types of forests had monsters in them. I wasn’t being careful; I should’ve smelled him from a mile away.”

“Yeah, it is your fault.” Jace said with a smirk.

“You shouldn’t be talking Mr-I’m-so-strong-and-princely.” Christian chuckled. The air between them started to change. Their actually talking to each other without being hostile.

I smiled.

“Rose is that a smile I’m seeing.” Christian said.

“Shut up.” I laughed.

“Don’t get defensive; it’s just that I haven’t seen you smile in a while. It’s kind of refreshing.” I blushed.

“He’s right sweetie.” Jace said. My smile faltered a little. I forgot Jace and I were an ‘item’. Things just got a whole lot more difficult.

 “Christian where are we headed now? I don’t think we can stay in the woods any longer.”

“Where almost to the underground society. It should be another hour or so.”

“WHAT?!?” Jace and I said in unison.

“Why are we going there?” I asked.

“Because that’s where we can get information to finding this vamp.”

“If I knew this was where you were taking my Rose, I would’ve never agreed to this. Christian that place is dangerous. With all the smugglers and stealers-”

“No one asked you to come. If you don’t like it you can leave.” In seconds Jace had put me on the ground and was face to face with Christian.

“You little-”

“Stop!” I yelled. They didn’t even budge.

“Why don’t you leave rich boy. Nobody wants you here-”

“Why don’t you leave? Me and Rose can do this alone.” I started to rise from the ground. I can’t let them fight. They just started to get along.

“Guys-”   I winced because my foot wasn’t completely healed. Both of them were by my side in the blink of an eye.

“Are you alright darling?”

“You shouldn’t be walking on that yet.”

“Christian let her go. I’ve got her.”

“Hell no. Why don’t you-”

“Please stop fighting! Shit! If you guys keep acting like this, I’ll find the vampire by myself.” That shut them up.

“Sorry” They said together.  

Christian looked at Jace and Jace looked at Christian. What is this a staring competition?

“Ok you take her, since my hand is messed up, but when you get tired which I know you will hand her over to me.”

“Psh, like you can even lift up a leaf.” They shot daggers at each other. Christian let me go and Jace picked me up bridal style, and then we were back on the road.

I sighed.

What idiots! Fighting over whose going to carry me. I seriously don’t understand guys.