Chapter One

*One year later

My life is hell. I have but one friend and to tell you the truth I wouldn’t even call her that, she’s an acquaintance. She only speaks to me because I get a weekly 100 dollar allowance from the state. It’s supposed to compensate for my food for the week.

Anyways today is the one year anniversary of my family’s death. The priest of my church had conducted a small memorial for them. A few people from my school came. And by few I meant almost all of the ‘popular’ kids. They didn’t come because they wanted to, but because their parents forced them to.

The whole time they were there they just talked and talked. It was so disrespectful, I mean my family is dead and all they had to say was “where are you going tonight” or “I think bobby ,might like me, maybe I’ll get lucky.”

I would have walked over there and said “Maybe you’ll get lucky if you shave that scruffy ass mustache off your face” but I wasn’t going to lose focus of this day. I wasn’t going to ruin my family’s memorial. So I let it go.

The memorial was over and I was heading out to my parents grave when someone grabbed my arm and jerked me back.

“What the hell” I said angrily. I turned around to see ‘The Ashley’s and the Jocks. That’s what people call them at school, because you could get “messed” up if you called them by their real name. I wasn’t scared of them. I would’ve called them their real names, but I seriously didn’t care what hideous names they harbored.

“Where do you think you’re going Rose” she said while grinning at me like a hyena.

“What does it look like? I’m going to my family’s grave you dumb bitch.” I said getting in her face. Seriously, where at my parent’s memorial, in a cemetery where does it look like I’m going? Off to space! Jeez the people that walk this earth.

“Relax, I was just wondering” she said backing up.

“Well go wonder somewhere else.” I started to stalk off but she said “Look! Wait I just brought a peace offering” I stopped and turned around. She had red roses in her hand. Whoa! Is she really being nice? I went to grab them from her, but she took a step back and threw the flowers on the floor, and then she started to stomp on them.

“You’re the dumb bitch to think I would ever be nice to you.”

OH NO SHE DID NOT! I raised my fist and it was just millimeters away from colliding with her hideous face when and arm reached out and stopped it mid-air.

Who’s stopping me from dismembering her face? I turned around and started to say “Who the fu...” but stopped because just behind me was the priest himself.

“Oh ahm… I mean” he cut me off

“You young lady better take your friends and leave before my hand magically slips and Ms. McHale here mashes her fist into your face.” He said with a deathly glare.

 They scattered like fleas.

“Ahm... I’m sorry priest Rolland I didn’t mean to start a fight, they were just, I mean I just started to  ...”

“It’s all right child just go to your parent’s grave and say your prayers” I nodded and ran off.

I first went to my brother and sister. They were buried next to each other. I knelt down and I said a few prayers. Oh how I missed them. With Max and his stupid Thor hammer and Emily with her Hannah Montana dolls. I used to hate them with a passion, but now, now I can’t even sleep without having one of them in my arms.

I left before I started crying. I visited my parents. It was a brief visit because I knew that there were no remains left in the coffin. It was just an empty box.

I started to walk away, but noticed a light in my peripheral vision. I turned and looked into the neighborhoods ‘abandoned mansion’. I squinted my eyes to see if it was just the light gleaming off the snow, but before I knew it the light or whatever it was, was gone.

Guess it was nothing.

I turned around at started my long journey home, but before I left I looked up to the sky and screamed out loud “Why me! Why do this to me! I lost everything, everything. Why!” A single tear dropped from my eyes.

 I turned around and left.