chapter 23- homesickness and pool fun

It was currently a little past midnight, and I was sitting in my bed. I tried to sleep, but I had this pit in my stomach and it wasn't going away it was just growing. I felt like crap, I didn't feel sick, just like crap. I think I was homesick, yeah, thats what it was. I sat there in the darkness when I heard the door open. Mitch walked in using his phone as a flashlight.

"Mitch? What are you doing?" I asked as I sheilded my eyes from the bright light

Mitch jumped "Bek! I didn't think you were awake, you just gave me a heart attack. I left my phone charger in here." He walked over to my desk and grabbed his charger

"Oh, okay." I frowned, the pit in my stomach was growing

"Hey, what's wrong?" Mitch spoke softly as he sat at the edge of the bed.

"It's nothing, I'm just homesick a bit." I shrugged, it wasn't that big of a deal. Nevertheless, Mitch scooted back so he was sitting right next to me.

"I'm sorry. I can help you if you want." He suggested. I leaned my head on his shoulder.

"How?"

"We can talk. Brayden said that when he was in Africa, he got homesick a lot. He said that he'd talk with his friends there and then he was fine." Mitch moved his arm and draped it over my shoulders as he talked.

"Well, what should we talk about?" I couldn't see Mitch though the darkness, but I could tell that he was looking down at me.

"We can talk about anything. Canada, America, our friends, the future, how much we hate Brayden-"

"I like that last one" I laughed along with Mitch in the darkness. "So I'm guessing you watched the video then?" I asked him

"Yeah, the fans were going crazy! Did you see the comments?" He scoffed slightly "It's unbelievable."

"Well yeah, they take everything a little overboard. I mean, I love them, but it's a little crazy." Mitch's other hand that wasn't on my shoulder grabbed my hand. He played with my fingers, intertwining them, letting go, and repeating.

"It's not so crazy though, right?" Mitch spoke in a soft whisper. I sat there, listening to him and letting our hands connect and disconnect.

"What do you mean?" I turned my head to him, even though I couldn't see him.

"Bek, can I tell you something?" Mitch sounded nervous, what was going on?

"Yeah, of course. What is it?" Mitch's hand grabbed mine, but this time it didnt let go again. He held my hand and ran his thumb over my hand lightly. He leaned his head on mine and pulled me a bit closer to him. We sat in a silence, holding hands for a while until Mitch spoke up.

"Uh, I uh-" He stuttered as he tried to speak. He gripped my hand a little tighter before letting go. "Uh, nevermind." He cleared his throat and scooted away a little.

"You sure?" He seemed so serious about it, why the sudden change of mind?

"Yeah, it was nothing. Forget about it." He assured me. "Well, I should probably go back to my room- it's getting late. Night." He said hurriedly and rushed out of the room.

"Night Mitch." I called after him. I laid back down and tried to fall asleep. The pit in my stomach was shrinking. Instead my shoulder and hand was slightly tingling from where Mitch had held them. I shook my head, it was nothing.

----------

"Bek!" Ella yelled as she threw the door open and ran into my room. I sat up in a hurry, maybe a little to quick. She had woken me up and now my heart and head was pounding.