Chapter six - Wrong direction

Nigel:

He kept on walking, not hearing Alex at first. But when Alex raised his voice to loud shouting he startled at the noise and turned around quickly. For a moment he thought he'd been caught but then he saw Alex, looking panicked, and he realized it was Alex who called him.

"What is it?"

He frowned when Alex told him he was going the wrong way and blinked in confusion.

"But.. You just said..-"

He really seemed to be entirely clueless right now. In his experience Alex just told him to go that way. And now he's telling him to go back again.

At this point the pieces were able to fall together. When Alex first appeared to Nigel again, Nigel didn't want to believe Alex was real. He even ignored him entirely, as if he was used to the illusion of Alex being there.. He was hallucinating about Alex now, therefore mistaking the hallucination for the real one right now. It explained a lot about Nigel's absence sometimes.. The way he seemed distracted. And it was only the question how many times Nigel had already seen and heard an Alex that was not there, while the real one was present as well.

Alex:

Alex his body trembled while he thought about the worse. The ominous stupidity of Nigel made him bloody nervous. How couldn't he realize that he was walking straight up to the guards which were concentrated searching for him. A gasp got audible when Nigel finally seemed to hear and see him, and he sighed relieved as he walked up to him, pressing his hands against Nigel his chest.

'You're going to the wrong way,' he said gruffly. He looked up when Nigel seemed to struggle, and clenched his teeth as he tried to stay calm. 'I said you're going to the wrong way!' Suddenly he stopped, looking Nigel straight in the blue eyes as if he tried to connect his true soul. 'Please,' he mumbled. 'Don't be a nitwit. We need to work this stuff out.'

It was hard to have a decent dialogue now Nigel was so incredibly confused. It was a chimera that had boomed in my head before in this situation, but this was the straw that had overrun. A worried expression appeared on my fragile face. It wasn't normal that Nigel was imagining thing that weren't there. It could bring them both so much trouble...

'Honestly, Nigel. Are you sure that you're feeling alright?'

Nigel:

He put a hand up in front of his eyes now, trying to get a grip on the situation.. or at least on what was real and what wasn't. Alex was real. He had to be. And he didn't even have a legit reason to think so but he hád to believe so. It was the only way to save himself from this eternal damnation.

But then there was this other thing.. Alex was speaking against him self. If he'd say left the one time, he'd say right the other. How could he know when Alex was speaking the truth? ..