Gym Class

Holy shit. Everybody was there. Mom. Mrs. Sterling. The doctor who has been looking over her for the past 2 months.

There she was. Lying in a sitting position with her weak grin smiling back at me. I felt my cheeks and they were wet with tears that I didn't know about.

Alexa's eyes were the icy blue I thought if never see again. Her hands were still dry and nails dirty but she'd never looked so beautiful. Under her eyes were rings of half circles and she was so pale like lamb's wool. I was still in my messed up prom dress but I didn't give a damn.

I slowly walked over towards her, and pinched myself. Was this some sort of dream? Did I fall asleep after getting drunk at an after party with Jake? Was I dead and in heaven? As I stand there like an idiot Jake comes from behind and wraps his arms around my waist. He stands back then leaving without another sound. Alexa looks shocked like she just saw a talking dog and I laugh running towards her, engulfing her into a tight hug. I kiss her all over her face my face filled with brand new tears.

"Haven't seen you in a while Case." She whispered into my ear, the way she always says my name. I missed my best friend. The doctor comes back in an instant along with Lexi's mom. They start smiling but I want to slap it off their faces. They lied to me for 2 months?

"It was her idea not mine so don't look at me." The doctor says smiling with his hands up in mock surrender. The woman I looked up to my whole life smiled back giving me a thumbs up, like everything is going to be okay. Alexa looks confused as I am, so we stand there as the two adults start to explain theirselves. Huh, I've been bitched once again.

"So what you're saying is, mom bribed you into not telling Casey what's really going on with my health so you could surprise her to death...literally?" Alexa says with a rough scratchy voice. The doctor and Ms.Sterling stand side by side with smug grins. We both ask if they knew each other and they both answer that they apparently were best friends in high school. So they both decided to trick me just for the fun of it like a normal teenager would. Damn it.

"We have her results if that's what you're so anxious about." He says looking through his papers now turning serious for a second. He's the most easy going doctor I've ever seen in life; I like it. As he comes closer, Alexa huffs in a breath her chest rising unevenly. She's scared for what's coming; what her progress is. "Her cancer is disappearing, slowly but it'll take at least another month for her to recover. We'll be able to scan her take a test to know for sure that it's not there and then, she is free."
*
I didn't really know what happened after that. My mom clapped her hands together but Ms. Sterling actually looked like she didn't know this part of the information. She first gasped and then she came over screaming for joy hugging her tear stained daughter. As I stood to the side still trying to develop the sense that she will be okay, Jake comes from behind making my stomach churn. "I guess everything is all right then?" I turn towards him and cup his cheek, "Yes. For now." We looked over to my best friend and she looked so shocked I have out a snort.

"Are you guys like together? Oh my shit how did I not see this!?" She coughs but then making her bed shift but her mother interrupted before her perverted side would break through. 'Alexa language.' was what she said that made her whine about how she just woke out of a coma and how her mom was starting to act like before. Now they started to argue like her disappearance of cancer wasn't a big shocker or anything. At least they acted normal. Alex was still a little sick with the flu so Jake and I left to give her time. My best friend is finally awake, now I have hope for anything. As we walked towards the car with the chill scraping my skin, I saw the moon peeking out of the clouds like its celebrating for her too. It's so funny how I've changed so fast during this crazy of a year. First I was a nobody totally ignored by most people and hated the populars. Now I'm dating a popular became one of those people who are always on daily news. All because of Pete. Melissa. Jake even.
"Hey you okay?" He nudges my arm with his broad shoulder which makes my body tingle. I said I was fine but I was anything but fine in my brain. I ditched my friend at prom and I didn't get to have a quiet peaceful moment to myself trying to plot Pete's death. A girl one day before prom asked of I was even going to prom with Pete.

"Are you going to prom with Mr. Popular?" This freshman slut came with half of a crop top showing all her cleavage and her extremely short skirt that you could see her ass. The boys looked at her like she was a piece of chicken on a deserted island.
"No." I shove the books harder into my locker than I should have and my skin opened up by the knuckles and blood shown through. I swore under my breath.
"Aww why? I heard that you were pregnant with his baby-" I shut my locker and my bloodied knuckle came into contact with her perfect porcelain face. I heard a crack of bone under those pounds of makeup. She yelped grabbing her bloody nose that came out like a stream. The pain in my fist was extravagant but it didnt matter now that everyone was watching. 'Oh my god! That's Pete's girlfriend!' a girl whispered to another one texting and a boy who said 'Damn she's got a good arm, I think I should go for her bro.' talking to a guy who's eyes were so wide they could come out. Pete pushes through the crowd looking at me with eyes that looked so shocked I thought he'd have sympathy for me. I thought again.
"Oh my God Lindsey are you all right?" He comes over to her totally ignoring me. She said something in his ear that made me so angry, blood boiled inside. I heard five words that he said back to her to make sure I heard. It felt like I was punched in the gut. "Don't worry she's a bitch."

The memory made tears prickle in the back of my head but I tried to think of a good memory like I passed my SATS with the top mark. That made me squeal out loud. Oops. Jake looked at me weirdly but didn't question. I sat down in the car grabbing his hand when he sat as well. In an instant, I pulled him toward me without hesitation but he was trying to kiss me. But I stopped him. Not because I didn't want to but because I wanted to say thank you.
"For what?" He chuckles with that deep husky voice.

"For dealing with my shit. I was crying. You took me to the hospital when I heard that my friend was in danger. I ruined your night by talking to my sister when she was a mess and I left you in the gym. I just wanted to thank you." I pulled back and stared out of the window he started the car and drove out of the parking lot, fast. He opened up my window and my hair was all pushed back; like my problems. I put on some soft music in low volume but it was completely useless with all the sound coming from outside. Jake and I really haven't been on a date yet but right now we don't have the time. It is sad really that he never really brought it up. I corner eye him still looking out the window. His hair was like he just woken up but hands down he was still handsome. He was at least a foot taller than me with a lean body...

"I do know you're checking me out." He says suddenly, like all the boys in books do. And as stubborn fictional girls say in books, I say, " I am not checking you out! That's gross!" He laughs retorting, " I mean, I know I should be those sexy models on a magazine but you don't need to check me out." My eyes grow wide and I slap him on the arm. 'Ouch!' he said before I slapped him again.

"Dude you got to stop hitting people! It's not nice!"
"Oh I'm a dude to you now? How romantic. Just like p...."
"Like who?" Damn it. I was going to say Pete. Just think of some random guy in school that I'm friends with. Damn it. Don't have any guy friends.
"Like....er..Patricia. Yeah she and I play Mario cart-"
"Wait you played Mario Cart?" Damn it again. That was a big secret and now it's out to the most popular kid in school. Alexa and I used to play that in her brother's room and the other 4 brothers would come and watch.
"Er..yeah. She and I had...secret code names? Yeah code names and we would call each other dude. All the time. But now she moved to Vancouver. Um, I mean Florida."
"Okay." Was all he said but he had a big goofy grin on his face. Now he thinks I'm a freak.

"Dddoooorrrraaaa! Haha come on Dora! D-d-d-d-dora-" I quickly press answer while Jake bursts into a fit of laughter. Bigger freak might I add.
"Hello?"
"Casey? It's Nerissa, may I ask where you were this whole time?" Ugh.
"Alexa stuff but I'm coming back to the school."
"It's okay don't bother just come to my house. We're having the Co-Ed sleepover."
Yay. A night with my bestie. Jake. And my boyfriend.

Hey guys! You can kill me, I don't mind because I totally deserve it and I let you on a cliffhanger that brought it to the climax of the story. Thanks for the 3,000 reads plus! You guys rock! I'm in Dubai so I'm still on vacation. My phone cracked so bad it's glitchy get so I can't use it and I need to get enough money to get it fixed. I was in London for a few days and it was wonderful! I am going to Washington in a week and then finally home. I love you guys and please please please please vote and comment that would so make my day you guys are my light in the darkness. Thanks again and cyber hug!
Fatima <4