Gym Class

"Oh sweetie this one totally looks adorable! Try it on!" Stephanie stares at the pink ruffled dress in awe as she shoved it right into my hand. As she shooed me away, she muttered something about being too picky in dresses. Shaking my head in dismay I secretly hang the dress back up on some of the racks coming out 5 minutes later saying it was a tad "tight" around my boobs. Well, thank god she didn't push on the subject. "Honey, that dress looked your size to me." Questioning me wasn't exactly where I wanted to go or even to an argument we got in like every 2 minutes, so I pick out one at random. "Here! This looks nice!" Beaming with happiness Steph took it, checking the length size and hands it to me for me to where. I didn't pay attention to what was in my hand before I turned looking into the full length mirror Target provided. We first walked in to the shitty sigh that was supposed to read, "Prom Picks" but it totally wore out. The dress was a length that hit the tips of my toes with the simple colour of creme with a pretty silver glittery crop sprinkled at my chest coming with spaghetti straps. It fix nice and snug feeling the breeze from the open back. Walking out all self cautious hugging my body, Steph's head lifts up from the bra section liking me up and down. For a minute she looked confused but then she started running towards me squealing while jumping up and down. I smile twirling around my dress happy that finally a good coincidence occurred. We spent at least a half hour looking for a dress searching for "the one" but luckily I found it myself. Steph snatches it and runs over to the cashier paying it. Well, at least she cared enough to buy it without even asking if I wanted it for prom. Eh, what the heck I am going to wear that for prom. Walking towards the exit, she hollers flailing her arms around. I swear she acts like a youngster compared to her actual age. "What about shoes?" Oh, God.
"I'll just wear my flats, you know the non uncomfortable ones that give me blisters." No way was I wearing high heels. Surprisingly, she agreed walking out the exit towards her car. "Wait Steph!" I shout out after her and she turns abashed standing still waiting for what I want to say.
"Thanks a lot for the prom dress. I don't think I'd ever say this but you're really...sweet." That buttered her up all right. "Sweetie, I do this because you're my daughter." Stroking my cheek, she turns and strides towards the car leaving me flabbergasted.
*
Nerissa is frankly still upset with me for god knows what reason but this time I walked into that gross and smelly hallway with jocks who forgotten to put on deodorant and spotted that slim body with yet another hickey on her other side of the neck. I stomp and stomp until I slam her locker shut and grab her by the hand half sliding half dragging her over to the outdoors where we usually spend our free period. I pull her down, sitting beside her staring with my green eyes reflecting off her pretty grey brown ones. "What the fuck is wrong with you? No texts no calls all you've been doing is ignoring me." I question very angrily with her glaring back refusing to answer with those arms crossed. "I think that's what you do when you want to avoid someone Casey." What the fuck is she talking about? Can't she tell me what she's so upset about? I asked her that very question. A puff of air left her mouth while she put her face into her hands groaning. In an instance tears well up, she was at the verge of tears. "Dad had a lot of drinks. When he came home,.." She chocked from a sob and a few tears flew down smudging her foundation. "He raped me Casey. My own dad!" She hugged her stomach her head facing everywhere except my face, ignoring me. "He hit me and told me to not talk to anybody or else I'll make you pregnant!" That made my face heat up expeditiously my arms snaking around her back comforting her saying she could stay with me as long as she wanted. Shaking her head, she said that her father would come over and track down the address. "Well he'll have to go through me and my father Nerissa." I pull her again for a hug, cooing comforting things in her ear. She held her head high then staring at me with those teary brown eyes wet fresh tears staining her face. "I'm sorry. For ignoring you I mean. I didn't mean to do that to you, you know." I nod my head resting mine against her comfortable shoulder blade. The landscape outdoors looks almost fake with the birds humming their favourite tune and kids with earbuds plugged in totally in a mind of their own. The willow tree's leaves dancing against the warm cool breeze tickling my hair gently pulling on it too. Nerissa then looks at me about to question something with the corner of her lip tugged upwards into a smile, "Did you get your prom dress?"
"Yeah."
"With who? Oh wait I already know. Caley right?"
Sighing I rake my hands through my unwashed hair, "No, with Steph." Muttering those words made me feel suddenly guilty since she did buy the dress for me and actually called me her daughter. Her head bolted upright, "What about Caley?"
"She's sort of being a bitch right now and mom would turn into a monster if I said I wasn't going with Pete to prom while shopping."
"Oh, well I found a date."
"Who?"
"Jake."

Hey guys! Finals are coming so quickly and I started to move sort of fast with this story but I'm going too too fast you know. I'm so happy for the 2.61k like honestly I want to hug every one of you reading this. I haven't updated in a while I know but I'm being really active trying to talk to you guys if that makes it any better. Can I please have someone to fangirl with for the mortal instruments? Message me because we could have like a 2 hour convo about the couples in the book haha. I love you people to the moon and back and yeah don't forget to vote and comment! Thanks and cyber hug!
Fatima <4