Welcome To The World Baby J

If you ever need a place to cry
Baby, come to me
Come to me
I've always known that you were born to fly
But you can come to me
If the world breaks your heart
No matter where on Earth you are
You can come to me

- Celine Dion

Noah and I woke up early the next morning. It was a long night. I woke up several times to Noah crying in his sleep, calling out for me or reaching for someone or something that was not there. He still looked tired.

“Go back to sleep. I need to take my meds, but you can sleep on, I love you.” His eyes were fighting to stay open. I just kissed him gently and crawled out of bed. It was a school day, or supposed to be. But neither of us was fit for school.

I plodded down to the kitchen, and found mom sitting there. She was looking down at the table and frowning to herself. She didn't hear me come in and when I walked to the cupboard she didn't even look up to see who it was.

“Mom? Are you okay?” I asked quietly. She looked up and smiled. It was a very small smile and I didn't like it. I sat down in front of her, scowling at the weight in my chest. It was fucking ridiculous to feel so shitty.

“I don't believe you. Now, we can do this the easy way. Or we can do it the hard way. I would just like to point out, you know that I am not feeling well and you have seen my lovely temper.” I looked at her with a glare to prove my point.

“I'm not sure what it is. I think the baby might be on her way. I'm not sure, but it feels funny. I'm hoping now because she'll be early.” Mom sounded upset. I hated to hear her so down. I was concerned too.

“It's too early. Baby J will be fine though. Just you wait and see.” I blushed when I realised what I had said. “Baby J? You have a name picked out. Tell me, come on. We have no names picked out yet.”

Mom sounded happier and I was glad. She always looked pretty when she smiled and when she was excited she just glowed. “Jamie. I always liked the name Jamie. It's nicer for a girl than a boy in my opinion.”

She rubbed her belly instinctively and I noticed a glow on her face I hadn't seen in a while. I was going to ask her why, but then she said. “Who did you know named Jamie? I get the feeling it was someone special.”

The memory of Jamie came to mind. I had forgotten about it. Noah was the only person who knew about Jamie. “Only Noah knows this, but when I was five mom was pregnant. With a girl... She had no name, but I referred to her as Jamie.”

“Oh sweetheart. I'm so sorry. Was it the drugs?” When I nodded she continued. “Did she remember being pregnant?” I had forgotten myself, she was never born and I never had many people to mention her before.

“Nah, she forgot after she got rid of her. I even forget. She was never born and I never saw her, but I had a picture of her in my head.” The memory brought back a lot of emotions to me. Noah had been great when I told him back then.

“That's so sweet Jesse. I am sorry that you lost her though. You would have been a great big brother. Did you always want a sister?” I smiled. “Yeah, I never really wanted a brother, they can be cruel. I know that from where I grew up.”

“You grew up so fast it's hard to believe I'm talking to you now. The psychiatrist seems to be working out. The nightmares have stopped and you seem better in general. You have no idea how happy that makes me.”