Helping A Friend

We rely on our friends to chear us up when we are down. And they rely on us to do the same. But a true friend is someone who can just sit there and we feel better.

Lexi and I finally managed to talk two days later. It had taken a lot of persuasion on my part for Noah to go home and rest. He’d been worried about me and wanted to stay so badly. But I knew he needed to rest for a while. So when the time came Luke brought him home. He told me he would be back in three hours.

I smiled as I waited for Lexi and started looking for Noah’s present online. I searched several websites before I found it. The price shocked me and for a while I contemplated not buying it. But then I remembered what Luke had said.

A knock on the door disturbed me before I could enter the credit card details. Looking up I saw Lexi walking in the room. Her blonde hair was cut to her shoulders now; it framed her round face beautifully. Her black denim jeans were torn at the knees and she had a black tank top on.

She smiled before she sat down beside my bed. Her eyes though showed her sadness. We stayed in comfortable silence for all of two minutes before I finally broke the ice. “So, what happened between you and Alex?” I sounded harsher than I wanted, but something had to be said and she was really starting to change, and not for the better.

“Alex and I slept together a month ago.” She said quietly which added to my confusion. I raised an eyebrow at her and she sighed. Reaching for her hand I squeezed it gently, encouraging her to continue speaking. “We slept with other people within a week. Not just me and not just him, both of us slept with other people.”

What the hell were they thinking? They have wanted to be with each other for ages and then they go and sleep with others! I would never do that to Noah. And I know deep down he would never do that to me.

It took ages for me to speak. I could see from her expression that it was not what she had wanted but that she had expected it. “Why? Why would you cheat on the guy you have had a huge crush on for ages? It doesn’t make any sense. I’m not judging you, but Jesus Lexi.”

“I know it sounds bad Jesse. Trust me, but we are not you and Noah. Neither of us is ready for forever. I honestly don’t know how you both can do it.” She almost cried. Tears streamed down her face and then she whispered. “How can you guys do it? We’re so young and you’re even younger than us.”

The desperation in her voice shocked me. The way she asked made me wonder why we were so different than other teenagers of our age. “Well, I know without a shadow of a doubt that I could not live without Noah. I have loved him for ten years now. It was not something I just realized. I’ve always loved him.”

A deep breath and I continued. “We’re young, yes. But we are also in love. It’s not something I take lightly. The love I have for him helped me. I survived because of Noah. If I hadn’t had him… well let’s just say I would be in the ground right now.” It was honest, but true.

Lexi nodded and I waited for her to speak. I understood what she needed, but she needed to say it herself. “I don’t love Alex. Well not the way you love Noah. It’s not something I’m ready for. I’m only fifteen. I just want to have fun, and he wants that too. But I feel so bad.” Her voice was soft and scared. I reached out to her.

“Listen, it’s not supposed to be easy. Love never is. But if you two are really supposed to be together. Then it will happen, maybe not today or tomorrow. When the two of you are ready to settle down it will happen, you just have to be ready for it.”