The Strength Of Friendship

"You can break a thing, but you cannot always guide it afterward into the shape you want."

― Holly Black, Tithe

"Do you boys want me to drop you off at the lake today?"

Grace, Lucas, Noah and I were sitting at the table eating breakfast. I was never allowed to cook, even though I could. Grace always stated that I was not to lift a finger in her house, and that I have done enough for the family. Without cooking for them. I did not have a clue what she was on about, but decided it was best not to argue with her.

"Yeah, thanks dad. Could you pack some food for us and stuff?"

Noah was eating his pancakes and drinking orange juice. He was throwing the food into his mouth and I laughed when he almost choked on a small piece of pancake. I handed him a glass of orange juice and he swallowed in down in one massive gulp.

"Sure, I'll grab your swim trunks and throw them in with some towels."

"Thank you." We both echoed. I was feeling more relaxed today, it was a cool day. The sun was out and there was a slight breeze, but nothing that would stop us going to the lake. Noah smiled up at me and I smiled back, he looked so happy.

"Are you guys excited about going? It's been a while since you went to the lake."

"Yeah we're excited, the last time we went was June, it's actually the longest we've been away from the lake, ever." I answered.

"That's right, I remember because Noah jumped in fully dressed." Grace said, her voice taking on a teasing tone. I looked down and smiled at the memory of Noah in his mom's car, dripping water all over the interior. We had gone just after school and he had no swum trunks and towel. It had been a hot day, but it did not help him dry off. He was sick for three weeks after that.

"Yeah, that's the time." I replied, stifling a laugh.

"What's this, pick on Noah day?"

"Nope, we always pick on you. Nothing special about today." Lucas replied while laughing. Grace was beside herself, tears were streaming down her face. I kept trying not to burst into a fit of laughter. Noah had the hottest, sexiest look on his face, he looked almost cute with a bewildered expression on his face. I had to cover my mouth with my sleeve to stop myself from laughing any harder. But it was hard.

He really needs to wipe that look off his face, it's too hard not to kiss him with that look. And God, am I hard as hell for it. He's just so perfect. I wish I was as perfect.

Lucas dropped us off at school an hour later. We were almost late because Noah had to find a form his parents had filled in. As I walked the corridor to my first class, I noticed there were some new students today. One girl with pink hair was talking to our principal. She was obviously new since she had no idea where to go.

When I walked into the classroom the science teacher was placing lists on our work surfaces. He was a lanky man, with gray hair that came before his time, and eyes that looked almost red. He nodded at me as I sat down. Looking at the page I saw at least three projects that needed I needed to turn in at the end of the year.

The large science lab was quite impressive. It had state of the art equipment and brand new books, which were always a bonus for high schools. There were large windows along one wall and the chocolate colored walls made it look like all the other classrooms. Although they were all the same size and color, the differences always showed from room to room.

Students filed in and all went to sit in their groups. At the back of the class where I normally sat, I watched as they made their way inside. Some of them looked back at me, others ignored me completely. One of the boys I recognized as a friend of Noah's. He had been held back last year due to horrible grades. He glared at me before sitting down.