Silent - Ghost [N]

His footsteps were silent.

They crept around the house, watching for any irregular floorboards that could've been stepped on and any sign of life. Keeping his firearm close to his chest, he moved slow and steady as you followed behind.

Doing a drug house bust was just another day, with this one being your last one of the lot. But when it was this tense? It just felt slightly different. Something felt unique, something felt off. His eyes look back towards you with veins running through them, showing his lack of sleep and use of instant coffee pulsing through him.

You look behind you, then toward him again. The ghost mask gave you a nod of confirmation as he signalled for you to keep on his tail. You adjust the shiesty on your face, making sure you can breathe alright and, just like him, clutched your gun close to your chest.

The two of you are met with stairs, light emitting off the top floor. It resembled something like a television or computer screen, you thought, but you shouldn't question it just yet. He once again looked back and you nodded, with him returning it and you both swiftly yet slyly crept your way upward.

You tried to ponder on why this felt so weird. Maybe it was that look that Ghost gave you the last training session; y'know, that one? The one where his eyes were just slightly squinted and clear with a smile in the corner? His pupils burning into yours, knotting a rope between you that had never been established before? That one?

He turned the corner and so did you, him gesturing you to check the room with the light. You peeked the door and saw no signs, so you nuzzled your muzzle through the doorframe and barged in, finding no sign of life after a quick breeze. Your eyes then lay on the light source; a computer screen with Word tabbed open.

Stay still and silent.

You crease your eyebrows. Was it a false threat that the cartel had planted? You took a step back, but immediately ceased once the touch of a warm hand lifted your shiesty and a cold muzzle pressed against the back of your neck.

They leant over and placed their head on your shoulder, whispering what seemed to be threats in their native tongue, spitting after every word and ending their instructions with a low laugh, proving their intentions. A soft breath left your nose and they dug the tip of the gun further into your neck, making your eyes clench shut, followed by some aggressive muttering.

But luckily, his footsteps were silent.

You looked towards the doorway and saw the glimpse of a thick, black glove through what you could barely see. Then, a bang. An explosion struck down the hall and caused the house to shake and groan, alerting the shadow behind you, with their hand swiftly clutching your waist.

They dig their foot in the back of your knee making you slowly walk, their gun cold against your skin and their hand warm even through the several layers you have on. Your heart raced from the nerves you had as another explosion, leaving gas to flood the hallway down the stairs, slithering across the floor and in the air. Were there other people trying to get you?

Wait, what about Ghost? Where was he? You had not seen him out of your peripheral vision, so where did he go? Is he okay?

They lead you down to the edge of the stairs and tell you to descend with aggressive shoving, but you then felt their fingers slip away from you and a gasp of air. You turned around to see the man now pressed against the wall with a knife in his throat, another one pinning his hand into the drywall.

Luckily, his footsteps were silent.

Ghost looked down at you and crouched slightly, his eyes showing concern. "Are you alright?" he murmured in a gruff tone, you replying with a nod. "Good. Let's just get out of here, I have everything I need."

You both rush out of the building, him throwing another grenade behind him and as we see a black truck begin to pull up, the drug house explodes into pieces as Ghost rushed you inside, swiftly sitting down and a driver speeding away.

You sighed in relief as the smooth hum of the engine filled your ears, it felt good to be somewhere comfortable after exploring several drug houses all day. It felt amazing to relax, you leant back and slouched slightly in the back seat of the truck, until Ghost nudged you. Your head turned to him and he nodded at you to sit up.

A groan of frustration left your mouth as you fixed your posture, feeling yourself falling asleep. You lean forward but immediately jump back awake and fix yourself. You sighed softly, knowing you just had to wait the long car ride until you could peacefully rest.

Ghost shuffled across the seat, closer to you, and looked down, making your eyes meet his. His gaze hinted from your eyes to his shoulder with softness and you felt your cheeks burn. Was he suggesting..? No, he couldn't be.

His hand wrapped around your shoulders unknowingly and his fingertips lightly pushed on your head to rest on his shoulder. He felt warm and his hand then moved down, around your waist and pulled you closer to him. A soft sigh of relief and comfort left your nose as a small smile formed on your lips.

And, just for you, he stayed silent.