Rooftop - Ghost [N]

Tossing and turning in your bed at such late hours wasn't anything special, it was almost like a routine. You sigh and kick the sheets off of you, sitting on the edge of your bed and looking down at the floor, rubbing your eyes and biting the inside of your cheek. Placing your feet onto the concrete sent shivers down your spine, after slipping on some trainers and getting a jacket on to have a walk. You head over to your usual spot - on top of the roof of the barracks - to sit and relax, looking up at the stars and to let it all go.

However, once you get there, you weren't expecting to hoist yourself up to see a large silhouette looking at you, his arms on his knees and a cigarette held between his fingertips. His face was covered by nothing but a plain black balaclava.

"LT?" you ask quietly, knowing that not much noise can really be made without startling him or yourself. You prop yourself up and crouch near the edge of the roof, waiting to see if he wanted you to leave.

"What're you doing out of bed?" Ghost responds with another question, one that you can't really answer without it sounding weird. You shuffle over and take a seat next to him, holding your knees to your chest and having one hand supporting your weight behind you.

"Couldn't sleep. I usually come up here to relax."

You feel his eyes look your way as you looked out to the dry land, blanketed by the stars above. Your gaze trailed up and looked at the blinking lights in the sky, admiring every single star that your eyes manage to see.

He hummed acknowledgingly and turned to look where you were; you both sat looking up at the stars. He took a long drag of his cigarette and blew the smoke away from you before turning to you after and simply offering his cigarette to you. You take it and nod, taking a drag before returning it. The silence was comfortable, you felt a sense of relief finding someone else finally up here rather than sitting on your own for hours and hours on end. This night felt different; it felt right.

"Never knew you smoked." he piped up, slight curiosity in his words. It wasn't a question, more of a command to answer him.

"I did a while ago. Been clean for three years."

"Now thirty seconds." he joked, arising a small chuckle from you and a smile to form on your lips.

It was silent once more. Everything felt calm and tranquille. The cool breeze of the night was slowly passing by you two, letting your hair dance slightly in the wind and his jacket wave. He took another long drag but this time, didn't offer it to you. You both sit there in each other's company, it feels like a new bond has formed. Something between the two of you is now forming, and you both feel comfortable now.

"Why are you up here, LT?" you ask, the thought rushing to your mouth rather than your mind. The silence was so peaceful yet you had to ask, it was buzzing in you for a while. Somehow, it managed to slip free.

He sighs softly. "Same as you." he replied, tapping his cigarette on his knee to get rid of the ash, letting it fall off of the ledge of the roof.

"You have trouble sleeping?" you inquire.

He simply nods. Nothing else, so you respect it and stay quiet.

"Get to bed, soldier." he says, almost commanding you to go. He turns his head towards you, which you were already looking at him. You tilted your head slightly and furrowed your eyebrows.

"Why? I would rather you have company than be alone." you protest.

"You need sleep."

"So do you."

It was a short silence, but it felt like forever. You could hear the cogs in his head turning, everything running through both of your minds was as loud as a powerful engine.

"Let's go then." he stumped out his cigarette and threw it off of the ledge, shuffling around you and hopping down first, you following with his extended hand as assistance. As your feet landed, he hesitated to let go of your hand but did, and so you both walked to your rooms side by side once more, knowing you will see a lot more of each other.