American Boy - Keegan [N]

When you were younger, it felt like a whole concert when your favourite songs blasted through the radio of your parent's car. Singing them like your whole life depended on it felt like an eternal bliss only waiting to crack open as the next song rolled over to something even better.

You soon managed to get vocal lessons, getting even better at singing. Your voice was velvet to those whom heard it after practicing for years. Your career path, however, took a sharp U-turn. The army called out to you with promising results and you held it's hand and let them take you under their wing. Your parents majorly disapproved, but they couldn't control your life.

The economy was a failure, the government was burnt to crisp a year after you enrolled. Everything went to bits, nothing felt right anymore. Many many towns and cities and states got destroyed within the mass event. And from there, you were chosen to be welcomed into the Ghost team.

The people you joined, the group who were only trying to survive.

The ground was ashes and rubble and you could see distant smoke trails from burning buildings - only one day will you hope it would be someone asking for help. You rested your elbow on the middle compartment of the truck that Keegan, one of your teammates and your friend, drove to collect some of the other members a while away after a successful takedown of the enemy. You sighed heavily, catching his attention.

"You alright?" he chirped up, nudging your arm and waking you up slightly. "Ah, yeah fine. Sorry." you reply, him huffing softly and turning back toward the rough road that had been made.

"I don't like it when you lie, you know?" he states, making you shake your head in disagreement. But he spoke again. "I know you are upset about everything again. But the past can't be changed, which is why we're trying to keep our futures better."

"I guess so." you mumble, fiddling with the hem of your shirt's sleeve. Keegan looks over and peers at you through his mask, looking at your masked face slowing down the truck slightly.

"You're alright, we can do something you want to do when we get back." he says with reassurance and your eyes light up. "Even-" you get interrupted. "Yes, even that stupid thing..."

You chuckle slightly and look ahead of you. It was approximately twenty minutes to go, so you look around the truck. Your eyes flicker over the radio function and you turn to Keegan.

"Does this have music?" you inquire, he replies with a soft nod. You turn back to the radio and turn it on, flickering it through the static trying to find some sort of music channel. You manage to find one - it seems quiet but it'll do. Some song from your childhood that you were never too fond with begins to play through the speakers.

"I remember this song - barely." you mumble in surprise. Keegan replies with an intruiged hum. "Never knew you liked the radio, thought you'd be more of an artsy person." he replied with a sense of curiosity.

"Never was an artist, but I used to love to sing. Back when my parents drove around, I sung the radio's songs. Here, look-" you say as the song slowly comes to an end. The next song begins to play and your eyes light up.

American Boy by Estelle, a true personal classic to you, started to play through the speakers faintly, only causing you to turn it up. Keegan looks at you with disbelief.

"Really? You-" he gets cut off with you beginning to sing. His eyes widen - you sounded beautiful. He had no idea you sang so good, he felt his cheeks burn at the sound of your voice. You felt in your zone, a large smile easily visible through your voice as you sang, dancing with the song.

You look over at him as you sing the chorus, raising your eyebrow as you sang; "You'll be my American boy, American boy." ending it with a giggle and continuing to sing. He looked away, trying to not show his subtle shyness to your flirtatious singing. He then chuckles, hearing Kanye West's verse coming up and he puts his hand up just as you were beginning to sing, him filling in instead.

Singing then together, your hearts both raced laps around the link your eyes had on each other - of course an occasional check on the road. Your voices blended so well together, you fit together just like a puzzle.

Your eyes lock as the music subtles down.

"Would you be my love, my love?" you sing, him replying the backing tracks with a sly look in his eyes that only brought your cheeks to blaze. The tension in the car was easily present as you two sang the last bits of the song, his fingers turning off the radio afterwards and looking over to you.

"About that one line..." he began slowly, a smirk plastered through his words. "I wouldn't mind taking up that offer." he looks over at you and slides his hand onto your thigh, giving it a small squeeze and tilting his head slightly waiting for your answer.

You freeze, heart beating so fast that your watched buzzed and you looked at it, with it telling you to slow your heart rate down. He looks over and sees it as well, letting out an amused laugh. "That's a yes then?" he asks. You nod, unable to speak.

"Perfect, I'll be your American boy."