Chapter 72: homework

Kristin's POV:

We'd had a quiet weekend all in all. The boys slept a lot, in fact we all slept a lot and I got ready to go back to work properly on Monday. I'd been in on my school's inset days but the kids got back on Monday and that's when work really got stressful. But, the extra few days of holiday were the perks of working in a private school, even when you're just a teaching assistant.

Tubbo wasn't feeling well and the painful migraines he'd been having less and less of, were back in full force. We made an effort to get Tommy out on lots of walks whilst the weather was nice so that it was easier for him to stay quiet when he was home. But even he sleep a lot, so much more than usual.

"Last piece of homework bud and then you're all done," I said, stealing one of his crisps out of his bowl. He frowned at me and pulled the bowl closer. He was a lot less protective over his food than a lot of kids in care but Tubbo said how he'd made every effort to keep Tommy fed, even if it meant he went hungry.

"What's left on the list mate? What's the last one?" Phil asked from the kitchen where he and Wilbur were doing the dishwasher. Tommy checked his 'homework to do list' that we'd written out and followed his finger down all the ones that were crossed out until he reached the last one. 

"Can you get the book?" I prompted, pointing to the shelving we'd set up in the dining room which housed all of his school supplies. It made it easier when he had to do his homework supported by someone anyway.

He grabbed his history book and I helped to pull out the crumpled sheet that had found it's way to the book. "Wilbur? Do you know if we have any of those plastic folders left?" I asked.

"Uh, I think so." He said, going out to the garage where he thought they might be. When he returned with a red one (which he knew would make Tommy happy), I stuck a label on it and grabbed a sharpie.

"So this is your homework folder Tommy. When you get a piece of homework, you put it in here to keep it safe okay?" I instructed.

"I'll send James an email so he knows." Phil said, getting out his phone. Tommy looked at the folder with a much less interested expression than when he had seen that it was red.

"Last piece then, you give that sheet a read for me whilst I go get a drink." This was another thing we were practicing, the ability to do at least some level of work independently. His reading ability was assessed last week and it proved that it was just above the average for his age group. He struggled with a lot of other things, but reading was not one of them. He was still being supervised (with both Phil and I in the kitchen, nothing could go drastically wrong) but it encouraged him to start and keep himself focused on a task independently.

When I sat back down he handed the sheet to me and sat back in his seat. "If you need a break, you can ask for one." He shook his head and tapped the sheet, waiting for me to read it.

His homework task was to create a poster about roman soldiers and highlight key parts. Wilbur read it, leaning over my shoulder and laughed. "I remember when I had to do this, one girl in my class did like a full presentation on it, it was so extra!"

"Well, Tommy how would you like to do it?" He just shrugged his shoulders.

"Can I help Tommy?" Wilbur offered.

"Wilbur, have you finished all of your homework first?" Phil asked.

"Yes! I have actually cause I like barely had any. Plus, no offence, but Tommy is probably sick of you two hanging around."

"Oooooh sorry!" I said, and Tommy just giggled.

"To be fair, we do really need to do a food shop for packed lunches this week." My husband said, smiling at me sweetly.