Chapter 64: brothers

Techno's POV:

When we got back, there was an email in my inbox. The wifi wasn't good at the hospital and so it hadn't come through until I got back home. It was the DNA test results. I felt sick.

I needed to open them. God, I knew I needed to open them. But was I about to find out I had another brother when one of mine was in the hospital still. 

"Bud? You okay?"

"The results have come through."

"Oh, have you looked at them yet?"

"No," I said quietly, still staring down each pixel on my phone's screen.

"Would you like me to call Dad so we can all get the results together, or would you rather do it by yourself first?"

"By myself, I guess."

"There's no rush bud, take all the time you need. I'll be in my room if you need me." 

I nodded and shut my bedroom door behind her. Sitting on the bed, I felt it squeak beneath me and I looked up at my shelves. There was a picture of me, Wilbur, Mum and Dad. It couldn't have been more than a few months after both Wilbur and I got here (we got here at different times) and we looked so young. So happy. I thought about Wilbur there in the hospital. I thought about the tears in my eyes and my shaking hands.

A tear dropped onto my phone and in an effort to wipe it off with my sleeve, I accidentally opened the email. I'd read it before I'd had a chance to think. And I called Tor before I even thought about talking to Mum.

"Hey Techno, I'm just about to go on break, you called at the right time. What's up?" He sounded so much more like me than I'd realised. I wonder if we sounded like our dad.

"Have you seen the email?" I managed to push out.

"No, what's on it?" He sounded like he didn't have a clue what I was on about. Had he not checked his inbox every hour for the past couple weeks, waiting for the reply too.

"We're umm brothers. You're my brother." I heard him breath a sigh of relief. "When can we talk properly?"

"I get off work late tonight, in the morning, I'll talk to Phil about when would be a good time."

"Yea, that works."

"We'll take this at your pace by the way. There is no pressure."

"I know, thanks." I bit my lip, still crying even though I couldn't quite identify why.

"How's Wilbur?"

"Off the ventilator."

"That's good."

"They said he'll be awake soon, probably tomorrow some time."

"Have you thought about how you're going to tell him?"

"No, I literally got the results and called you."

"It's okay, I just remembered Phil mentioning there being a slight issue. It's really nothing to worry about, I shouldn't have even mentioned it."

"I know that Wilbur was concerned about being left out. But if you're my brother, you're part of the family."

"That's nice of you to say."

"Well you're old enough to be Uncle Tor, so I'm not sure how much of a compliment it is." I half-laughed, feeling a smile rush back to my face.

"You know what Techno," he paused and I could hear him sniff like he was crying too, "I'd love nothing more than to be Uncle Tor again."