Chapter 9: can't breathe

TW- swearing, mentions of p-edophiles (this sounds bad but it's supposed to be lighthearted and funny, anyone who lives in the uk will hopefully understand it, sorry if you don't)

Kristin's POV:

"Oh of course. I think the school's realised that it might help both of them." 

"Yep. I mean I know Beau is a lot calmer about school now she knows Tommy's going to be there."

"Same for Tommy." I said, looking at the both of them who were bouncing on the trampoline.

"I don't mean to be intrusive just that you and your husband are so good with the neurodivergent stuff and do you think Beau might be well-?"

I rested a hand on Sue's shoulder, "I'm not an expert, but school will probably be really helpful with something like that."

"Yea; you see she's already on a waiting list. CAMHS said it would be a few months and well that was last year. I had hoped it would be sorted by the time she got to secondary school so we could have a fresh start but no."

"We had similar problems trying to get Techno's ADHD diagnosis. Eventually we were forced to go private. This time around, we went straight to private but even that wasn't immediate."

"The system's just so overwhelmed and there's so little to go around."

"Yea, it's a real mess." I sighed. "But Tommy made friends with Beau pretty quickly and I don't think that's such a coincidence."

She looked at me with a relieved expression, "thank you."

"Tommy's good at stuff like that. Him and Techno bonded almost immediately too. He knows when someone's brain works like his and when it doesn't."

"I'm just worried we'll have another rough experience with school. You know, kids can be so mean and I just want her to be happy."

"I won't lie to you Sue, the school aren't brilliant with bullying, we've had quite a few problems with Techno. But Jack seems pretty set on sorting it. I think things are going to change in that school."

"I hope so."

"Anyway, look at Techno now. He's still happy, he's still getting good grades, he's hitting his targets and he's an amazing big brother. The kids from school are not the be all and end all."

"Awww thank you. It's just hard not to worry."

"Oh trust me, I'm terrified that something will go wrong and we won't get Tommy into school but I think he's desperate to go."

"But that's nice isn't it? The fact he's so excited?"

"Oh it's great, but it's quite the shock to the system and we just aren't sure how hard it's going to hit him."

"At least quite a few kids will be in the same boat?"

"Yea, there's that at least." I took another sip of my non-alcoholic Pimm's. 

Time skip:

"Bud, I know you don't want to stop bouncing but the food is ready and I bet you're hungry." He didn't answer, choosing to bounce up and down instead.

"Maybe he's just not hungry, Mum." Techno said from behind.

"Well he didn't eat much of his lunch, so I want to get him to eat at least something."

"And he will, but probably not this minute. Just put a plate of what he likes in the fridge and when he's hungry in a bit he can eat it."

"Yea, but bud it's time to eat and he's not always going to be able to eat it later."