Chapter 71: adoption

Tommy's POV:

When I woke up, Techno was still playing minecraft and Wilbur was fast asleep.

"Te." I said too loudly and Techno shushed me before picking me up out of the duvet. I was still really light and being picked up was fun.

He took me downstairs and Phil gave me a hug. "Tubbo and Kristin are going to be home soon mate. But can I talk to you about something first?"

Techno went back upstairs and Phil sat on the sofa with me. "In the attic, there is a box of things from your old house."

"Da?" I asked.

"Yea, from when you used to live with your dad. And Tubbo would like to look through it. Would you like to look through it with him?"

"Mmmmm." I hummed.

"You don't have to if you don't want to and if you'd rather wait a little bit that's okay too. But it might be nice to do it together mightn't it?"

"Yea."

"Alright then mate, would you like some breakfast?" I nodded and gave him another hug.

Time skip:

Tubbo had a plaster on his forehead and his fingers were all bandaged up with a wooden stick between them. It looked funny. He was tired. We sat in his bedroom, on his sofa and I leaned up against his shoulder. He stroked my hair with his good hand.

Phil came in with a couple of bin bags and a cardboard box. They were all full. My tummy felt funny and my head was all loud. Tubbo was brave and got fill to open the first bag.

There were lots of clothes inside. Some of them were our's... some of them were Dad's. Tubbo pulled out a striped, red and blue polo shirt and sat back with it. Phil pulled up Tubbo's desk chair and sat on it, waiting patiently with a kind smile.

I remembered Dad wearing that shirt when we read me Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. It was an odd book to read with Dad because he was like two people a lot of the time but I liked it. He read a lot of books to me and he wore that shirt a lot of times. But my brain was playing me a little video of me sat in his lap, face pressed against that polo shirt, listening to the story be read to me.

Reaching a hand out, I carefully touched the shirt. Tubbo handed it to me immediately. I just sat and stared at it, not quite sure what to do. I hated him but I missed those quiet moments of being read a book by him.

"We can keep all of this, some of it or none of it. It's all your choice. We can make piles?"

"Yea." I said, handing the polo shirt to Phil.

"Is that a keep or away Tommy?" He handed me the iPad as I immediately paused. 

"Keep." I typed.

"Tubbo, would you like to keep it too?" My older brother nodded, smiling at me.

All of the binbags had clothes in them and the process with the rest of the clothes was similar. Phil suggested keeping a few of our old clothes for memory boxes and there was a couple more pieces of Dad's clothing we decided to keep too.

Then we opened the cardboard box. There was picture frames with pictures of us in them. Us and Dad. There was a puzzle box at the bottom, which freaked me out. Dad used to do puzzles when he was drunk. And when he was drunk, he was angry and violent. 

There were lots of other things in the box too. But they didn't matter to me, not as much as the fear of seeing that puzzle again. It was the bridge one. The one he said he'd throw me off if I didn't shut up.