Chapter 32: apologies

Wilbur's POV:

Mum and Tubbo went off to therapy, and Dad had taken Techno and Tommy for a walk. So me and my friends had the house and most important, the music room, to ourselves. This saturday we had a festival. It was a small one, meant for families and we hadn't heard of any of the other bands going, but we'd been able to book it through one of Mark's Dad's colleagues and we're all way too excited. Since prom, we'd been working on a few original songs, frustrated by only really being able to play covers, but only one of them was already ready to be performed.

One day was something that we'd kept secret from our families, well except Tubbo who had helped us create the backing track on his program, ready to convince Dad to help us set up streaming platforms after this weekend. Techno had heard a snippet when he came down to ask us when we wanted pictures taken, but Tubbo kicked him out quickly.

After finishing off the bowls of crisps and our cans of whatever fizzy drink we had wanted, we went back to rehearsing. This time focussing on one of the covers, trying to get it as perfect as we could.

"Joe, is your mum coming to watch?"

"She said she'd booked the day off, but I don't know whether or not she can actually come. Guess we'll just wait and see?"

"Oh okay." Mark replied, flipping his drumstick in his hand. "My family's made these t-shirts with my face on it and I kid you not the words 'fastest fingers in the land'. Mum doesn't seem to understand the joke but my dad and sister have been giggling about it the whole time!" He carried on talking, despite the fact the other three of us had completely lost it and I was nearly on the verge of tears. "Yea I know, very funny. Bet your families aren't that embarrassing."

"Well Techno is going to bring him camera along and he's going to get pictures of the set for us."

"They'll look cool," Joe remarked.

"Mhm, and that leaves Mum and Dad to be with Tommy and Tubbo. So they'll pair up and be busy anyway. So, yea, probably not."

"My mum will probably be on her phone." Joe said, sighing.

Ash shrugged. It was already decided his mum would be our chaperone of the day and spend most of her time backstage with us. Mark replied, "sounds like I've got the easy one huh?"

"Mhm." I put the empty cans of fizzy drink in the bin in the corner and went back to my guitar. "Let's go again."

Time skip:

"Bye, see you Friday!" I said, waving bye to my friends as Mark's dad drove out of the driveway, going to drop them all back home. Closing the front door behind me, I walked straight into Tommy. "Hey, how was your walk by the way?"

"Yea."

"Was it good?" I asked, holding up a thumbs up.

"Yea." He tapped my thumbs up.

"Good. Do you want to go bounce on the trampoline with me?" He reached out to hold my hand and I took that as my answer. We passed Tubbo and Techno playing on the xbox and Mum and Dad making dinner. We didn't bother with shoes; it was dry enough outside and we'd have to take them off to go on the trampoline anyway.

I helped him up the small ladder and we started bouncing. I double bounced him a few times, sending him flying into the air and giggling like mad. And whilst I did try to explain the cracking the egg game, he didn't really get it and we just carried on bouncing anyway. Well, we carried on right after I'd fixed the plaster on his forehead that was falling off. He reopened the cut he got on his bedside table the other day after his nightmare, at the playground. It was really cool, but he didn't really look where he was going and tripped on a raised bit of the ground, scuffing up his head, his left knee and a little bit of his hand.