Chapter 29: leaving

Kelly's POV:

Phil had made roast dinner. It was really good, like every meal here was. I sat and ate it quietly, listening to their conversations about the mario kart tournament yesterday and the film day we'd had on Friday. I didn't feel much like talking today. Dad had gone home, but I hadn't. The bit that really hurt was that no one had explained why. I thought Phil and Kristin were different than other adults.

I cried myself to sleep that night, trying to be quiet so no one would come in and check on me and make me talk about it. I woke up on the Monday feeling strange. I felt lonely and scared, more than I'd had when I first got here.

Downstairs, Phil and Tommy were having breakfast. Tommy was always up early. I could hear him moving the trains about.

"Morning Kelly."

"Morning," I mumbled.

"What would you like for breakfast?"

"To go home," I sighed, getting up on the stool.

"I know mate, it sucks. I'm hearing you on that. Is there something we could do better to make it easier for you?"

"Let me go home."

"Okay, I'm going to come sit next to you and have a proper chat about this. Do you mind Tommy being in the room?"

"It's fine."

"Okay mate. I am sorry that you can't go home yet, but you know why don't you?"

"No! No one's told me!"

"I'm sorry about that. Can I explain now?"

"Yea."

"Your dad needs a few days to get used to be in the house. Remember he's still in the wheelchair, so he needs to get used to getting around your house by himself first."

"But I can help him!"

"I know you can, and I bet when you do go home, you're going to be super helpful like you've been here."

"Yea."

"But your dad needs to make sure he's safe and happy at home, so he can make sure you're safe and happy at home when you're there." I nodded and felt like it made more sense now. "But you being sad and frustrated about not going home yet is totally okay too."

I nodded again and rubbed my eyes. "Can I have cereal?"

"Of course you can mate, but would you like a hug first?" I leant into him and felt him squeeze me in a nice way that felt like it took all the rubbish stuff away. "Right, which cereal?"

"Coco pops?"

"Good choice. Tommy, did you want something else to eat?" I felt him run up to the breakfast bar and climb onto one of the stools.

"Orange." His iPad said.

"Hey mate, I think you might be missing a word?"

"Please," I whispered. Tommy tapped my shoulder, which felt like his way of saying thank you.

"Orange. Please."

"Do you mean these satsumas?" He hummed and probably nodded as Phil rolled one across the counter.

"'ove 'ou."

"Love you too mate, brilliant talking. Now, what did you two want to do today?" I began to eat my coco pops and just shrugged my shoulders. "Later, Tommy you've got Mumbo and Kelly you've got gymnastics but we are free all day!"

"Am I seeing Dad today?"

"No sorry mate, but we could see if we can facetime him?"

"Okay." I sighed and had another spoonful of cereal.