Chapter Twenty-Nine

I felt my skin crawl at his words. What did he mean he would take care of me? And to suggest I didn't need Leon? I would always need Leon! Leon was the one who would take care of me!

"Leon! Not you, Leon!" I sobbed through my tears, flinching away from him as his face darkened with rage.

"Leon is gone! He left you, otherwise I wouldn't have found you nearly dead in that alley! He's abandoned you!" His voice screamed at me, far more terrifying to me than Leon had ever been. Seeing me tremble in fear, the boy sat on the bed, his eyes growing soft. "I'm sorry. I should be more gentle with you, you're still sick after all."

"I'm sick?" I questioned softly, bringing my hand up to feel my forehead. I flinched again, feeling the heat pouring off my skin. I leaned back against the pillows as the energy I had felt before vanished. "The rain... It must have been the rain..."

"Well, the rain was part of it, yes. But you also got an infection in your hands. You really shouldn't have been digging through the trash with such wounds on your lovely hands." At his words I looked down, finally noticing the bandages covering my hands, sickly red stains already having bled through to the surface.

"I was looking for Leon..." I mumbled the words softly, slowly lifting my eyes towards the brunette boy in front of me. "He left me alone... I was alone..." I closed my eyes as his hand slowly reached towards me.

"Don't worry. You're not alone anymore. I'm here... And I won't ever leave you... After all, I love you. And even if you hate me, I'll stay with you... Forever." I felt his fingers slowly trace my lips before something soft and warm pressed against them.

I slipped into the darkness as my body finally stopped fighting the exhaustion, barely hearing the last words he whispered into my ear.

"You're mine now."