Chapter Twenty-Eight

I ran my fingers over the cuts on my arm over and over, tracing them slowly as the blood dripped from my fingertips to the wet ground below. The pain I felt from each line carved into my flesh was nothing compared to the pain in my heart as I looked up at the sky.

The clouds had finally rained out, parting to reveal stars that seemed that much brighter to my eyes. I had made up my mind. I would take Shina back, whether she wanted to be with me or not.

Digging my fingers into the cuts that spelled her name, I slowly began walking away from the lake, heading back to the cabin to pack for the long drive home.

--------

I'd barely taken a step into the building when I stumbled at the sight before me, a trail of dried blood dripped down the hallway leading towards the door hiding the stairs to the basement.

No. NO! I began running to the door, ripping it open and stumbling my way down as I followed the bloody pathway to our home.

I could feel my blood turn to ice at what I saw. A small pool of blood had dried upon the bed, the sheets tangled and the pillows tossed about. She was hurt. My Shina was hurt. I hit the floor as my legs collapsed from under me, my eyes never leaving the red stain that seemed to scream to me how I was too late to save my precious doll, my treasure, my world...

My Shina.

--------

I ran through town, searching for any sign there might be of Shina's whereabouts, asking everyone I met if they had seen her. Every denial made my heart sink that much more in my chest, desperation filling me side by side with fear.

What if I was too late, what if she was already.... NO! I wouldn't give up! I would find her, save her, rescue her from my foolishness. I never should have stayed away for so long...

I would get her back and I would never let her escape my grasp again. I promise Shina, you would be mine again. No matter what it took.

I would bathe the world in blood if I had to.