Chapter Twenty-Five

It took far longer to finish my task than I had wanted to take, but I was finally done. And I had managed to get rid of the trash that had dared to point her finger in his direction. I'd made sure to take plenty of pictures as I played with her over several hours.

I was sure Leon would want to see that the trash had been taken care of properly. The hardest part had making sure to leave plenty of false trails for the police to find. My favorites were the ones leading to the trash's family.

I'd made sure to bury plenty of evidence under the rose bushes.

--------

I didn't know what to make of the news I had just received from the officer in front of me. In a daze, I slowly exited the building, ignoring the questions of the garbage behind me. How could it have happened? They told me my beloved Leon had been driven mad during his time locked away from me.

His heart had been broken and taken his mind with it, according the the guards. How dare they let him believe that I would ever leave him! I had to get him out of that horrid hospital they had sent him to.

And after I had worked so hard to prove his innocence so he could come back to me.

--------

He wasn't here. He wasn't here! He wasn't HERE!! I'd searched every room, every hallway, every stairwell of this forsaken hospital and HE WASN'T HERE!!! Grabbing my hair and pulling harshly, I stared out the window at the moon shining down upon the world, it's bright light seeming to mock me.

I punched my hand against the wall, ignoring the blood that began dripping to the floor as I ran out of the room and down the hall, escaping from the hospital. I began thinking of all the places Leon may have gone to after escaping the room they had locked him in.

I should have expected him to escape and try to find me. After all, I would have done the same.

--------

I couldn't find him anywhere... I fell to my knees as my heart shattered into pieces once again. I'd checked everywhere I'd ever been with him, places he had talked about going but hadn't yet gone to, everywhere there was the slightest chance of him going to.

Theaters, parks, riverbanks, stores, schools, and finally home. All were empty of even the slightest trace that Leon might have been there. I collapsed onto the bed, a sobbing mess as I wondered where my Leon could have gone.

Had he really left without me? Did he truly believe I didn't love him anymore?