Ch. 1 Coffee

I woke early Saturday morning. I had to get to the diner early to start the early riser specials like I did every Saturday for the past four years.
I showered and changed into my white top and black skirt. I tied my hair back in a ponytail and applied a small bit of makeup. Then, I headed out.

"Britt!" Lou called.

I turned.

He was in the kitchen, making a pot of coffee. His brown hair hung in his eyes and his green eyes sparkled. How could he look that happy so early? "Want some?"

"No, I'll have some at work. Thanks, though."

He nodded and poured himself a hefty cup.

Ah, Lou. We'd been roommates since freshman year, which was fun. Over the years, we'd become best friends. It was always nice to have someone.

I went outside, feeling the breeze hit my face.
It had just rained the previous evening, so the ground was cool. It was late fall, which was a beautiful time in Virginia.

The leaves were changing colors and falling off the trees. The ground was coated in them, a rainbow mess. The leaves were slick from the fresh rain, but I managed to make it to my car without falling.

My car was old, a teal 1957 Chevrolet Belair with white accents, but it was beautiful. My dad got it for me when I graduated from college, so there was no way I was getting a new one. It had sentimental value, a thing I happened to be a sucker for.

I pulled out of the driveway and drove the four miles I had to drive to get to work.
When I got there, I got out and went into the diner.

It was crowded, as it was every Saturday morning. Truckers stopped there a lot, which always kept business booming.

I went behind the counter and slipped my red apron on as I clocked in.

"Britt, you're late!" my boss shouted.

"I know, I'm sorry, but I'm here now. Where do you want me?" I asked, tying my apron.

"Table two, then get the gentleman at the end of the bar."

I nodded and went to table two. I smiled at the man and woman, holding hands across the table. I could tell they were in love, happy to be alive. Lucky them.

"Hi. I'm Britt. What can I get you to drink?" I asked them.

"Two coffees," the man responded, not looking away from his girl.

"Are you ready to order?" I asked.

He ordered for them.

Then, I put that in with the cooks. I got their coffee to them and made my way to the end of the bar. When I got there, my breath caught.

A young gentleman sat there. He had dark brown hair and blue eyes. He wore a white button down shirt that had the first button undone, revealing a white undershirt and the chain of a silver necklace. He was typical, yet something about him took my breath away.

I cleared my throat and walked up to him. I smiled, "Hi. I'm Britt. What can I get you to drink?"

Without looking up, he spoke, "Coffee. Black. Thank you, ma'am." He had a deep voice, one that sent a chill down my spine.

I got him what he asked for. "Do you know what you want to eat?"

He pressed his menu to the table and looked up at me.

I noted he had just shaved, the aftershave hitting me like a brick wall, but, damn, did it smell amazing. Musky, almost, but somehow alluring.

"I've been looking at this menu for the past fifteen minutes and I still can't decide. What do you recommend?" he asked, his eyes stunning me to silence.