Dinner

The next couple of days went smoothly, he finally left me alone and stopped trying, finally realising I wasn't going to bite obviously.

That was until the high lord of the night court himself came into the library this day. I immediately rolled my eyes "look if you're here to tell me off for being rude to that winged prick you should start by telling him to stay out of my way."

He sat down on the lounge chair opposite me, "I'm not here to tell you off, I'm here to ask if you'd like to join us and a few others for dinner here later tonight." He gave a small smile as he offered out the invitation.

"Thanks but no thanks." I get up to leave, not wanting to discuss it further.

"Wait Ziláa, if you come to dinner I'll let you leave the house," Rhysand bargained.

I stop dead in my tracks "fine" I say and continue out to head to my room, now going to freshen up for the evening.

~~

I wear a black flowing dress that hugs my slim curves and decorate myself with jewellery that makes a statement

I wear a black flowing dress that hugs my slim curves and decorate myself with jewellery that makes a statement. If I had to go to this dinner to earn some freedom then I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd still look killer dressed in black.

I was late showing up for dinner as all the people Rhysand had invited over were busy chatting away, they silenced as I entered the room. Nothing new, my father's dinners were mostly awkward especially so after Amarantha....I pushed the thoughts out of my head.

I strolled over to the bar where there was a crystalline bottle of whiskey open on the top, the Illyrians had been drinking out of it. I could see as I poured myself a rather large amount of it their eyebrows raised sufficiently, but they fixed their faces after the woman with bright, blonde hair who was already sat at the dining table hissed at them.

Cassian, the long haired Illyrian nudged Azriel and nodded his head towards me. A coercion of course as he came up to me and told me I looked nice.

"Thanks." I spoke but stared at the new guest that had arrived, she was of small stature, similar height to me maybe I was an inch or so taller and had shoulder length black hair, but a much darker tan than myself.

"You have a way of saying thanks that sounds like 'shut up and die' you know" Azriel continued attempting to make conversation.

"Well perhaps that's what I meant." I shove past him and head to take a seat on the left side of the table, I was rather particular about where I sat at a table when I had the luxury of deciding.

I was sat diagonally to the blonde, I didn't look at her as I didn't feel like striking up a conversation.

"Hi I'm Morrigan, Mor you can call me, I'm Rhysand's cousin" she beamed at me. I glanced over to her, she didn't seem too bad, she wasn't....one of them.

"I'm-"

"Ziláa! Yes! I've heard about you from the others, you've really gotten under Az's skin you know!" She giggled and shot me a wink. "Which court are you from? Wait can I guess!" She began

"Mor stop terrorising her, you can tell she's pissed off and doesn't want to be here." The other one with short black hair spoke. She had silver eyes that swirled like smoke under glass. Not high fae...something...ancient.

"I'm Amren, Rhysand's second" she introduced herself and poured herself a glass of wine, taking a seat next to Mor opposite me.

"His second what?" I asked.

"Second in command" Rhysand spoke as the rest of them came to join at the table. "You've met Cassian, he commands my armies, Mor is my third and oversees the court of nightmares and Azriel your ma- ah erm...is my spymaster." He regained his composure after having almost saying mate. I didn't want it mentioned.

Azriel had come and sat next to me, much to my displeasure. I refused to even glance at him as he sat down. Though I felt his unwavering gaze burning into me.

"So what is this some kind of enterprise?" Boredom dropped my tone.

"No they're my inner circle." Rhysand answered pleasantly enough, ignoring my blatant rudeness.

"If you wanted to, we could give you a role in ou-" Cassian started

"No." I cut him off, not letting him finish. I had no interest in doing someone else's dirty work, much less the night courts.

"Cass! You should let Ziláa get settled first, she's probably overwhelmed by us all and the beauty of Velaris." Mor scolded him.

Settle? Pfft

"Yes once you settle girl you'll be fine." Amren chimed in.

I'd had enough of this settle talk. "I don't want to settle!" I cry out, distressed "I don't want to be here, this place, I want to be back at my home not here! I'm only here because they're-" I caught myself before I let any mention of Ziven slip out.

Cassian piped up, his eyes widening as if eager for information "they? Who's they? If you tell us we-"

"NEVERMIND!" I scream out, my shadows flare around me in turn, I slam my hands on the table and storm off to my room, slamming the door behind me.