Mate

Azriel's eyes widened a fraction then softened slightly. His grip loosened and then released and he took a step back.

"Now that you've regained your composure Azriel I suggest-" Rhysand started

"She's my mate." Azriel loosened a breath as he said it, as though he'd been holding it in for centuries.

The other two look just as taken aback as he was and turn to look at me.

"I am no such thing!" I snarl and storm towards the door that lead to what I could see was the balcony.

"She- I-" Azriel spluttered, seemingly lost for words. Cassian chuckled "Azriel stuttering? I never thought I'd see the day." Earning a hush from Rhysand who moved shooed them both away and followed me outside.

"Is it true?" He asked me, he already knew it was, him and Cassian had seen the energy change.

I didn't look at him, continued to look at this city, at Velaris as I snap "Of course not" my tone unwavering. Though he didn't seem convinced.

"Okay, so if I were to track down a Suriel and ask it would it give me the same response?" He begins before I whirl to look at him, I point my finger in his face as I say through gritted teeth "The cauldron might deem us mates, but I certainly do not, I have no time for such unimportant matters so I'd prefer if you could drop it high lord." Sarcasm drips from my tone as I refer to his title.

"Okay well as a high lord it's my duty to ensure my court are-" I interrupt him again "I'm not apart of your court"

"Well, with all due respect, erm-" he wanted to know my name.

"Ziláa" I tell him.

"Ziláa. If you are to remain in Velaris, you will be a part of my court, unless of course you'd rather lower your mental shields so that I can mould your mind and leave you outside the border of the night court." He said it in a tone that left no room for argument, a high lord's tone.

"No, I'd rather not have that happen." I cross my arms and scowl. I might now be a part of his court but I wasn't going to kiss his feet like every high lord so clearly wanted.

I turned to look back at the view, now able to see the house from the outside properly.

"Do you want a tour of the house?" Rhysand asks.

"Not really, I'm quite capable of finding my way around." I curtly reply, wanting to be left alone.

"Well I'm giving you a tour anyway, I don't want you wondering into the wrong place." I scoff, as if I'd accidentally wonder into the wrong place. I'd do it on purpose.

I reluctantly follow him, I'd surely be left alone once he was done with this so I'll humour him.

~~
Once he was done showing me the large house he finished up the tour with the room in which I'll be staying.

"Nice room for a prisoner." I drawl.

"You're not a prisoner" Cassian replies, having joined us halfway through the tour.

"So I can leave then?" I ask, not expecting a yes as I was proving my point.

"Well, no, but-" Cassian starts "so that makes me a prisoner then." I snap. I wasn't taking any bullshit about my situation.

"You can leave once we trust you to not to cause carnage on the streets of Velaris, we still don't know your purpose here, you have to put yourself in our shoes." Rhys explained in a high and mighty tone.

"No thanks, if I put myself in your shoes my feet would probably stink." I retort earning a hearty laugh from Cassian who was pushed over by Rhysand.

Before they can say anymore I shut the door on them and head into the bathroom connected to the bedroom, I had been wanting to wash off the blood and sweat from myself for ages, Cassian doesn't stop talking and wouldn't stop explaining every single detail of the house to me. It was exhausting to say the least.

At least the bathroom was more to my tastes than the rest of the light polluted house. It was dark and sultry with a giant, black tub in the middle of it, a large showering area - clearly both were supposed to accommodate Illyrian wings. I didn't need a tub in here, I'd never use it, I much prefer a shower.

I stripped down and stepped into the shower, letting the water run over me as I thought about the events of the day.

I thought of that Illyrian, Azriel, the one with the shadows like mine dancing around him. He was my mate, not Lucien like I'd thought all this time. I didn't want him. I didn't want a mate, it would be an unnecessary worry, and a night court mate was absolutely the last thing I wanted. What I wanted was to get out of here. Why couldn't they mind their own business? Not send Azriel to come chasing after me in the night and now I was prisoner in this huge house. I hope they don't live here.

I stepped out of the shower, the water having washed away all the obsessive thoughts and overthinking. I wrap a black fluffy towel around myself and make into the room to go and find some clothing in the wardrobe.

The wardrobe was full of night court attire, flowing fabrics, some silky some sheer. The palate was full of blacks, greys and dark blues. There were some paler peachy and purple tones, even some bright red's but I'd just avoid wearing them. Perhaps I could get used to this wardrobe, even if the rest of the place wasn't to my particular tastes.