Calanmai

Drums boomed, music played and the entire hilltop and cave beneath was littered with laughter, chatter and drinking.

A huge celebration for Calanmai - fire night

Huge bonfire's roared away creating a warm atmosphere and causing the entire hilltop to glow in a fiery blaze. Lighting up the area causing the surrounding trees and rocks to cast shadows - where I lurked.

I'd never thought of myself as much of a warm person, a prissy perfect little thing that often smiled and received them in turn. Smiles and a sunny demeanour usually naturally.. True, I had a sense of warmth that I got from my mother and she was the only reason I let it shine. But for him, I was willing to try.

Him.

Him and his auburn silky locks and sun-kissed skin gleaming in the light of the bonfire. His face that could've been carved by the mother herself now in more recent years half hidden by a fox mask. Fitting attire methinks considering he can often be as sly as a fox. That's why I love him I suppose...

He drank and chatted with his friends as I waited, watching in the shadows. I could watch him for hours.

Lucien

I think I almost enjoy watching him as much as I do actually spending time with him. Time that was now very scarce due to Amarantha's reign of terror. I have to admit I wasn't as terrified of her as the rest of Prythian, mainly because I kept well out of the conflict personally by doing some bidding for Amarantha. She has me appointed as her spymaster, so secret not even Rhysand - her whore knows of me. I have her fooled into thinking I tell her everything I know, truthfully I know a lot more than I let on due to my abilities to become one with the shadows, I hear and see everything, I am the shadows. Amarantha doesn't need to know everything, the majority of all I let her know isn't useful information, just information that suits my interests and works in favour of protecting the people I love.

Love.

Love is a strange thing, where there was once love for my father there now lies an empty, rotting hole.

He's a cruel man and I am very glad to not see him dwelling under the mountain with the majority of us, probably because Amarantha is hell bent on letting the cruelest creatures thrive and my father unfortunately falls into that category.

The empty hole that my father had left behind in my heart was now filled, Lucien had filled it years ago before Amarantha's 'blight' as they refer to it in the spring court. Before he had that mask stuck to his face, before Amarantha mauled his eye, before-

"Thankyou for finding her for me."

My thoughts are interrupted by the scene now happening in front of me. I watch as Amarantha's whore now interacts with a human girl. The human girl I'm sure Lucien had been talking about breaking Tamlin's curse. I mean, what other human girl would be in spring court?

Rhysand talking with her was bad news too. If Rhysand kills her, or worse, hands her over to Amarantha the fallout will effect Lucien and ruin the plan to break the curse. He needed a subtle warning.

I am one with the shadows as I travel past the fae crowded in a magical atmosphere, they whisper their secrets to each other and they manage to make their way to my ears.

Their secrets are all rather tedious, like every secret I've heard from listening in on fae from the shadows. I've never had anybody truly shock me with a secret. Hell will freeze over the day that happens.