Life before

Sun beamed through the open windows of my bedroom, lighting the tiles lining the floor and casting a warm glow around the room.

I could smell fresh tea on the tray next to me from the maid that had woken me up as my mother rolled her eyes with a laugh and complained I was sleeping in too late.

Dawn court was the perfect home for my mother. She was dawn personified. Not a bright sun blinding your vision blaring down like day court. But a warm welcome, a hug, the first sip of wine after a long day. She radiated warmth and was the reason I spent the majority of my time in Dawn court.

I had ties to the winter court - my father. I visit winter court once a month, if even that. From spending time with my father since him and my mother's separation I understand why she left him, he's cruel, full of malice and wishes others' misfortune. He wasn't always completely cruel - a bit mean sometimes perhaps but after my mother left him he went ice cold. He visibly aged as though he were human, rotted inside and out.

I got up to look out at the morning view, letting the sun hit my tanned skin, I take after my mother in my looks, my tanned skin, hair not white but a golden blonde, my eyes however, were white like ice, the only resemblance I had with my mostly estranged father.

The entire town was bubbling with life, everyone going about their daily lives. Charm maker's working hard, botanists arranging flowers, mapmakers at their stalls concentrating on their charts. Mothers taking their children shopping with them. The farmer's market up the street just about finishing setting up, the people running the stalls waving hello to passer-by's.

I watched the street setting up waiting for the door of the pottery shop to open, the moment I saw it open I quickly ran to get dressed, eager to see my friend.

I dressed in a white flowing dress that had a brown leather corset and brown over skirts, I didn't often dress feminine and donned a lot of leather as I found it easier to adventure in.

I braided my hair in a similar way that my mother does and headed down for breakfast

"And she makes an appearance, cauldron what a shock!" My mother jested

"I wasn't in bed for that long!" I shushed her and sat down joining her for breakfast.

"The fact you're even up is a shock to me Zil, you love your sleep." She smiled warmly.

"What can I say, I'm a complete hedonist." I said shoving a piece of toast into my mouth.

I finished up my breakfast quickly and went to head out the door when my mother stopped me.

"Where are you off to in such a hurry?"

"I was going to the pottery shop" I reply with a guilty smile.

"And then?"

"And then going to go on a walk." I give my sweetest smile and bat my eyelashes

She sighs smiling to herself "a walk is it? Cauldron you're just like me with your need for adventure."

"Then you can't be mad when it's a primal need!" I whine halfway out the door

"I'm not mad just worried." She states and as I make my way down the steps of our house she yells "stay out of trouble!"

"Always!" I give a wave and I'm off.

I make my way through the winding streets bustling with life, twisting through the crowds swiftly going along the cobblestone path in a small street of colourful houses. I mutter a few quick hello's to the people that have known me the majority of my life - my life after my mother left my father and we came to live in Dawn court indefinitely.

I carry on through the streets, drinking in the warm air and friendly atmosphere of my home. Buskers sang on the streets, mimes mimicked them and earned a few laughs from crowds around.

I arrive outside the pottery shop and practically run inside to see her.

"there she is!" Orelia squeals running up to me almost knocking over a huge pile of pottery earning a "careful" from her father.

"Hi Johannes!" I say to him over Orelia's shoulder from the hug she'd pulled me into earning me a smile and a wave in return.

Johannes was in charge of the pottery making shop in Dawn court, Orelia, his daughter is my closest friend. Orelia and I are inseparable, she has the same thirst for adventure as I do and we usually get up to all sorts of trouble together, one time accidentally flooding the entire bakery with dough. The baker had us working for him for 2 weeks to make up for it.

Orelia didn't have a mother, her mother was day court and had moved to Dawn court to be with her father but sadly died in the war soon after Orelia was born. She never knew her mother though so it wasn't nowhere near as bad on Orelia as it was her father.

We have been trying to set her father and my mother up together for years, and failed to do so, it would make family dinners much more fun though!

We left the shop to go to our usual spot on a cliff overlooking the coast.

"Welll how was it?" She inquired

"I-   Magical" I blush at the thought of him.

"I can't believe you'be been with him for 6 years now and have only just stayed at his place." She scoffs

"Well it's not really his place, he lives with Tamlin and probably had to get his permission." I defend him.

She puts her hands up in defence"okay okay I'm just saying!" "I mean I've heard of taking it 'slow' but that's a long time"

"Well you'll be happy to hear his high lord approved of me and I'll be visiting there a lot more!" I can't hide the excitement from my expression.

"Nooo that means I won't get to see you as often." She fakes a pout.

"I'm sure you'll get over it once you find your own man, you should come with me and charm the high lord of spring, he's single" I threw a wink her way.

We burst into fits of laughter and spend the rest of the day joking about having double dates, a joint wedding and living in the spring court together.

I crawl into bed that night with a smile on my face, feeling greatful for my life, I had a wonderful mother, an amazing best friend, a handsome and compassionate lover and didn't often have to see my cold-hearted father. I thought about all things happy and good as the thoughts lulled me to sleep.