Skulking

After last night's ordeal I needed some time away from the house. Remind myself of my freedom, rid myself of any possible chance of another interaction with Ziven.

I waited out the day in my room, perfecting the wards I placed that would protect the doe and disguise as my presence remaining in the room.

I knew I'd have to sneak out so that I wouldn't end up being followed by either mr needy cyrus or mr marry me or else Ziven.

If they followed me and found out I'd been into other courts unauthorised, I'm sure my father would reign terror upon me. And I'd rather avoid that for the time being. Then again if any of the high lords found out I was going in and out of courts unauthorised it would put a target on my back considering I'm able to get through their wards.

Nighttime hits and I cast myself to the shadows and begin winnowing once I'm out of reach of the manor where it would likely be detected by the wards my father has surrounding it.

My clothing was creeping towards darker shades - I chose them to represent the darkness within me since Amarantha. But a splash of red littering it on the inner cloaks - my kernel of happiness that I am clinging to as though my life depends on it. I will remain hopeful that happiness will come back the more I cling to it.

I winnowed all the way to the summer court border, I had plans to spy on Tarquin and see how he was getting on as high lord, considering the former high lord had been killed by Amarantha - courtesy of Rhysand.

Winnow, winnow, winnow

I reach a huge wall of shadow, stopping me in my tracks.

Because of my power, magic shows up like shadow to me, it's how I know when Lythe the daemati is speaking through telepathy - I see a little trail of shadow moving from his mind into someone else's.

The wall of shadow stretched over the entire edge of the court. It was extremely thick as half of it was made up of the winter court wards. Though I used my ice to slip through them easily.

Getting into summer court was a different matter. Perhaps it was because of the new high lord or perhaps they were just more recent but the wards surrounding summer were thick, to the point where it took me more than an hour to break through them undetected.

Once finally inside I made my way across the summer mountains to a little town called Adriata, where I know the summer court palace to be.

I slip and slide through the shadows the sun soaked buildings were casting, remaining unseen and unnoticed by people. Just a shadow traversing the floor.

I come up to a little shop- no a winery. There was no reason I couldn't have a little fun on my escapades was there?

I was in and out, a swift shadow slipping across the floor to pick my favourite red faerie wine. I took 2 other bottles for my pack.

I push foreword to the palace, approaching from opposite on the other side of the harbour near two little canal boats. I'd imagine they're what Tarquin and his advisors use to go back and forth from the palace to the town.

The palace was all open windowed, guarded? yes but the guards don't know what to look out for when I breeze past as a shadow in the darkness so I practically walked right in to the palace

I take my spot sat on the roof, out of sight of the guards so I could begin on my faerie wine and listen in on the summer court's palace dwellers.

I spent an hour going through the entire bottle, the alcohol beginning to numb the hurt inside of me and left the summer court tipsy. It was uneventful, I overheard Tarquin and Varian speaking of his most recent duties - typical high lord chatter that I'd heard before in winter court when my father presented new weaponry to High lord Kallias.

Cressida wasn't of much interest either as she sat in front of her vanity, brushing her hair humming to herself. I rolled my eyes at the vain gesture.

I'd become bitter about my appearance, I used to look in the mirror and see myself glowing. Since Amarantha my appearance has become icy, cold.

The wards took less time to complete leaving summer court though still an hours worth of my time, it was frustrating.

My next stop was spring court, I'd told myself I wouldn't go back, not until I was healed enough to pick up where I left off with Lucien but I had to see him. Even just from afar.

I was also curious to see what Feyre cursebreaker was doing, if she was taking well to becoming high fae.

The spring court wards were easily tricked, nothing like summer. And I winnowed through the woods up to an old familiar place. Tamlin's manor.

Spring court was similar to how I remembered it from before Amarantha, villages nearby being rebuilt of course, but the manor was shining in all its glory.

Everyone in the court was smiling and laughing, excited for their high lords upcoming wedding. Everyone apart from...Feyre?

You'd think she'd be happy to be marrying a high lord and living in luxury I wondered, seems like the lifestyle she was after.

I watched from the tree line, drinking my second bottle of faerie wine.

Watching, waiting.

Nightfall hit and I slipped in as a mere shadow, heading up to Lucien's room when I heard arguing coming from the study.

It was the high lord and his bride to be - Feyre.

He was shouting about the tattoo now decorating her arm - a symbol of a bargain she had struck with Rhysand under the mountain. I didn't know Feyre well but she was brave for a human, facing Amarantha, I couldn't understand why Tamlin would be angry about a bargain struck in order to save him.

I didn't see him attempting to save Feyre whilst Amarantha was torturing her under the mountain, nor save Lucien from the second challenge.

I wasn't going to get involved anyway, I didn't care, I came to spring court to see one thing and one thing only. Lucien.

I made my way down to where I knew his bedroom had been, keeping to the shadows, catching my thundering heart before slipping under the door ever so slightly.

He was asleep, shirtless. My now colder heart melted at the sight of him. How had the mating bond not snapped into place when he had me feeling like this? We're meant to be.

I slip into the corner as I hear a creak sound at the door and it opens slowly to reveal..

Ianthe.