Prickly

Ziláa

I awoke with a start. And it took me a minute to realise where I was.

You think I'd get used to waking up in a different location considering I had yet to find a permanent residence.

I quickly bathed and threw on some black night court attire from the wardrobe and headed to go and explore the place properly, happy to have the house to myself since everyone was gone by the time I'd left the shower last night.

I made my way into the main dining area, my shadows whispering in my wake.

"Morning sunshine." A familiar voice spoke from behind me, i creek my head around to reveal that bat winged shadow man.

He was devouring a piece of toast, finishing the entire thing in almost 2 bites.

"Could you not have breakfast at your house?" I retort.

"Well I'd rather have breakfast at the house I've woken up in." He smiled, earning a scowl from me.

"You stayed here?!" I begin to raise my voice, my shadows quipping at the air around sharply. He raised his hands in defence "woah calm down little shadowsinger, yes I stayed here, someone has to keep an eye on you don't they?" He smirks, a smug tone lining his words.

I wanted to slap that smirk right off his stupid face. I hate him. He's not my mate.

"I'm fine thanks, you have nothing to worry about I can't grow a pair of wings and fly off like a freak." I quip and shove past him.

"Aren't you going to eat anything?" He shouts after me.

"Leave me alone." I snarl, not bothering to turn to look at him as I head for the library.

The library was enormous, with big tables and chairs and a sitting area decorating it

The library was enormous, with big tables and chairs and a sitting area decorating it. And probably more than a million books to entertain myself with. Since all I could do here was sit around and do nothing I suppose.

I made for one of the second floor balconies on the upper level of the library once I'd found a book, tucking myself away in a dark corner since this room was also polluted with light from the ginormous windows.

I also didn't want him to come looking for me.

~~

"Ziláa?" I hear Azriel entering the library, I don't bother giving a reply, instead slipping into shadow. I'd only been here a day and couldn't be left alone, it was ridiculous.

He called my name a few more times then gave up and left finally. I continued to read my book in peace, I was at a rather interesting part before the interruption.

~~

A few days went by the same, I'd wake up, head to the library, barely eat and read books all day. I wasn't interested in engaging with Azriel at all. I was also feeling especially prickly today.

This particular day I wasn't sat in a dark corner but lounging over one of the comfortable chairs, book in hand and a pile of books surrounding me.

I heard the door open and his scent hit my nose, I didn't need to look up to know who it was.

"You need to eat something Ziláa." Azriel spoke.

"I have eaten" I deadpan, not glancing up from my book.

"One piece of toast is not eating, come with me I'll make you someth-" he began
"No. Thanks." I give a purposefully false smile and let my face drop back into a scowl.

"Look I know you're unhappy with this..." he contemplated the words for a moment, "predicament but I think if you just gave me a chanc-" I again didn't let him finish before I slam my book down and shout at him, "you're right! I am unhappy with this, but you don't know anything about me 'mate' so why don't you go busy yourself elsewhere because you're not wanted here!" I huff and pick my book back up.

He lets out his own huff before storming out. Peace, finally.