Twenty-Two

Kate closes her eyes as a needle is stuck through her veins

Kate closes her eyes as a needle is stuck through her veins. Her and the other officers were getting blood drawn to donate. Tim was dressed in a suit. It had been a few days since their breakup. She had swapped to have Garcia as her T.O. Lucy was switched to be with Tim. She hadn't wanted to end things with Tim, but she was already disappointing her parents with her career choice, she felt like she had to give on one of their demands. She was in therapy though, getting to the root of her fixation on wanting to do everything to make her parents happy with her, like she wasn't a disappointment to them. When she was ready, maybe her and Tim could find the right time to try again.

"Why the suit?" Grace asks Tim

"Court appearance."

"Ever given blood before?"

"Every eight weeks. Like clockwork."

"Good for you."

"Yeah, save lives, get a personal oil change."

"I didn't know machines had blood." Harper says

"You know the drill. Light squeezes." Grace says before walking over towards Nolan. "How's it going, Mr. AB Negative?"

"Good. Donating blood is bringing back some complicated memories of when Henry was born. He had TOF. I spent a lot of time in the hospital banking blood."

"I had no idea."

"What's TOF?" Kate asks.

"Tetralogy of Fallot. It's a heart defect."

"Four defects, actually." Grace says.

"It's corrected by surgery. Three of them he had before he was a year old. Since we share the same rare blood type, I donated approximately 16 gallons."

"But everything's okay right now, right?" Harper asks.

"Oh, yeah. All his checkups have been fantastic. Thank God."

Grace looks over at Grey who is putting aside his juice box.

"Good luck, Grey." Kate says with a small snicker.

"Make sure you drink the whole thing down." Grace adds

"Woman, I'm a grown-ass man. I don't need a juice box." He says as he begins to rise, but then wavers and sits back down.

"Whoa. You okay?" Grace asks, hands out near Grey.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine."

"Sir, did you just faint?" Nolan asks

"No, I briefly succumbed to gravity."

                                                         **

Kate is standing at reception when a woman walks up.

"Hi. I'm Valerie Castillo. I work for the Los Angeles Herald. I'm here to see yesterday's case reports."