Six

Kate, Jackson and Lucy are sitting at the rookie table in the briefing room when Nolan joins

Kate, Jackson and Lucy are sitting at the rookie table in the briefing room when Nolan joins. They just finished laughing at something Jackson had said.

"Hey. Where were you this weekend?" Jackson looks at Nolan.

"Yeah. We hit up a dodger game and went to that pop-up karaoke disco." Kate finishes

"Uh, my back was bothering me, so I just stayed home to take care of it."

"Well, cowboy up next time, 'cause we can't be the Four Amigos with just three people. Right?" Jackson says

"Yeah, totally." Lucy speaks up.

"All right, grab your seats. A special day here at Mid-Wilshire. In fact, we're gonna start off by playing a game I like to call "What is a patrol officer's least favorite assignment?" Officer Lopez, why don't you get us started." Grey says, stepping up front.

"Easy. Guarding a dead body."

"Solid one. Officer Bradford?"

"Canvassing in the rain."

"Garcia."

"Paperwork."

"Bishop."

"Driving the drunk wagon. It's just nasty."

"Without a doubt. And yet, for me, the absolute worst is the VIP ride along." Grey says, causing the officers to groan.

"Why? That sounds like fun." Nolan pipes in.

"Officer Bishop, would you like to inform your Boot why the ride along tops my list?"

"Because if anything happens to your VIP, it's your ass. So, you take the lowest of low-risk calls. It makes a 12-hour shift feel twice as long."

"Plus, you're trapped in a car all day with an entitled prima donna coated in body spray." Tim adds

"Officer Nolan, you want to take a guess why we're playing this game?"

"Because you're giving me the VIP ride along?"

"No."

"Really?"

"No. You absolutely got the ride along." Everyone begins to laugh. "He's waiting in the Captain's office for you now."

"Sir, is it too late to ask for a sick day?"

"Yes, it is."

"Uh, who is this VIP, anyway?"

                                                       **

"Sorry. The battery was dead, so they had to find us another shop, and then I had to put gas in it. But we're ready to roll now,"

"You know, when I was a rookie, I got here two hours before roll call to get the best shop from motor pool, re-wash it, and load the gear."