Fourteen

"It is hot as the surface of the sun out there

"It is hot as the surface of the sun out there." Kate says with a small huff.

"Yep. Gonna be like that all week. Good thing we're all in short sleeves now." West says

"The uniforms are still wool. Today's gonna be a nightmare."

"I'm just saying I don't get out of the car for less than a felony when the needle hits 100." Lopez says from their table in the middle.

"Your commitment to protecting and serving is admirable." Bradford says sarcastically.

"As long as I can do it in comfort."

Harper passes by Bradford on her way to a seat in front. Harper was Nolan's new training officer. Nobody really had a clue why she went from detective, got a golden ticket and chose to be a T.O.

"You know the front row's for the rookies, right?"

"You hoping I'll sit by you?"

"I'm just telling you how it is."

"The day I need that from you is the day I hang up my spurs, Officer Bradford."

She moves away and Lopez looks at Bradford.

"You know you're losing, right?"

"Good morning. We've got ourselves a heat wave, which means what, Officer West?"

"Studies show that a 1% loss of body mass due to sweating decreases cognitive ability and increases anxiety levels."

"Translation: tempers will be short, drug and alcohol use up, so stay hydrated and stay sharp. Now, while the rest of you are baking in the sun, Officer Nolan will be flop-sweating in his very first preliminary court hearing."

"Oh, no flop sweats here, sir. I have reviewed the arrest report repeatedly. I am 100% ready to testify on all the facts."

"Hmm. Bradford?"

"When did you graduate the Academy?"

"Oh, that was September –"

"Exact date, Boot."

"What's your weapon's serial number?"

"I don't know the –"

"You need to know the number by heart."

"For a DUI arrest? I didn't even draw my weapon."

"If you don't even have your personal information squared away, how could you possibly know the facts of the case?"

"A defense attorney's job is to screw you up on the stand, by any means necessary."

"Which means everything that connects to your experience on the job is in bounds. Got it?"

"Yes, sir."

They're dismissed and Kate walks to the shop after getting their kits ready.

"You're driving today, Boot."